Arizona State Defeats Men's Tennis, 4-3
March 28, 2003
Tempe, Ariz. - In what proved to be a tense and emotional match for both teams, the men's tennis dual between USC and Arizona State ended in a hard-earned 4-3 victory for the Sun Devils on Friday afternoon in Tempe. With the loss, the Trojans fall to 10-6 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-10, while Arizona State improves to 6-8, 2-0 in conference play.
ASU began the match by capturing the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Chris Stewart and Chris Letcher defeated Prakash Amritraj and Jeff Kazarian, 8-5, while USC's Parker Collins and Daniel Langre fell to ASU's Pim Van Mele and Ryan McBride in a close 9-8(4) match. Johan Berg and Ruben Torres avoided the sweep by defeating ASU's Olivier Charroin and Jonathan Stott, 8-6, at court three.
In singles USC fought back with three victories at the No. 1, 3 and 4 positions to knot the score at 3-3. The deciding point came down to the match between Charroin and Collins and though both played well, Charroin was able to come from being down one set to steal the victory, 4-6, 7-6(7), 6-2.
'In a conference match like this, I knew ASU would be ready to win,' said head coach Peter Smith. 'You have to go in and take the doubles point and not give them hope, but we didn't do that today. We should win doubles and we've been working very hard on doubles, but we're just not getting it done.'
Up next, the Trojans travel to Tucson to face No. 40 Arizona on Saturday, March 29, at noon.
#48 Arizona State 4, #28 USC 3
(1) Chris Letcher/Stewart (ASU) def. Amritraj/ Kazarian (USC) - 8-5
(2) McBride/Van Mele (ASU) def. Collins/Langre (USC) - 9-8(4)
(3) Berg/Torres (USC) def. Charroin/Stott (ASU) - 8-6
Arizona State wins doubles point.
(1) #34 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 6-2, 7-5
(2) #125 Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. #80 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Chris Letcher (ASU) - 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
(5) Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 4-6, 7-6(7), 6-2
(6) Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Jeff Kazarian (USC) - 6-4, 6-1