California Sweeps Singles to Beat Oregon
March 28, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 56 Oregon men's tennis team lost its Pac-10 opener to No. 7 California, 6-1, Friday afternoon. The Ducks (8-6, 0-1) won the doubles point, but the Golden Bears won all six singles matches for the victory.
'We played some good doubles out there,' Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'We were competitive. We just need to get a little bit better.'
Jason Menke and Arron Spencer won their match at the No. 3 position, 8-3, for Oregon's first win in doubles action. Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost clinched the doubles point at the No. 2 spot, winning their match, 8-5. The No. 42-ranked tandem of Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig lost to Cal's No. 1 pair of Steve Berke and Robert Kowalczyk, 8-1.
The Ducks were unable to carry the momentum from winning the doubles point into singles play. California quickly won the first three matches off the court in straight sets to take a commanding lead. The final three matches were all close, and the Ducks had their chances to make the comeback.
John Paul Fruterro clinched the victory for the Golden Bears at No. 2 by defeating Oded Teig, 7-5, 6-4. Teig fought off three match points in the final game, but Fruterro converted on his fourth chance.
No. 50-ranked Conor Niland came back to defeat No. 92 Kost at No. 1, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0. The third set was decided with a 10-point tiebreaker. Or Dekel finished out the sweep over Sven Swinnen at No. 3 singles in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Oregon will try for another upset Saturday at noon against No. 6 Stanford. The match will take place at the 15th Street Courts, weather permitting, and live scoring will be available at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 7 California defeats No. 56 Oregon, 6-1.
1. No. 50 Conor Niland (C) def. No. 92 Manuel Kost (O), 5-7, 7-5, 1-0
2. John Paul Fruterro (C) def. Oded Teig (O), 7-5, 6-4
3. Or Dekel (C) def. Sven Swinnen (O), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. No. 56 Robert Kowalczyk (C) def. Thomas Bieri (O), 6-2, 7-5
5. Steve Berke (C) def. Jason Menke (O), 6-3, 6-2
6. No. 124 Mik Ledvonova (C) def. Arron Spencer (O), 6-0, 6-3
1. Berke/Kowalczyk (C) def. No. 42 Swinnen/Teig (O), 8-1
2. Bieri/Kost (O) def. Briaud/Veress (C), 8-5
3. Menke/Spencer (O) def. Ledvonova/Niland (C), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive