No. 9 UW Men's Tennis Falls To No. 6 Stanford Breaking A Fourteen-Match Winning Streak
March 28, 2003
SEATTLE - With clouds hanging in the sky, the ninth-ranked Washington Huskies (14-1) battled, but fell to the sixth-ranked Stanford Cardinals (12-2), 2-5, in their first match played on the outdoor courts this season at Bill Quillian Stadium.
The day looked promising for the Huskies winning two out of three doubles matches, with Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby defeating James Pade and KC Corkery, 9-8, in the No. 2 position and Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler defeating Carter Morris and Sam Warburg, 8-4, in the No. 3 position. Huskies Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski fell to David Martin and Scott Lipsky, 8-6, in the No. 1 position, but not before the doubles point was clinched for the Huskies.
In singles action, the outcome was not so promising, as Matt Hanlin fell to David Martin 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 in the No. 1 position. There was a glimpse of hope when UW's Alex Vlaski defeated Scott Lipsky in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 2 position, but in the No. 3 position, KC Corkery defeated Husky Fred Sundsten, 6-7, 6-1, 6-0.
With the clouds still hanging over head, Husky Christoph Palmanshofer was downed by Sam Warburg, 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 4 position, and Ari Strasberg battled, but fell to James Pade, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 5 position. In the No. 6 position Phil Sheng defeated UW's Dillon Ruby, 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 to clinch the match for Stanford.
Washington will host No. 7 California, Saturday, March 29, at 1 p.m. marking the last home match of the season for the Huskies, which plays its remaining Pac-10 schedule on the road.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Stanford
March 28, 2003 - Seattle Washington
#9 Washington 2, #6 Stanford 5
1. Martin & Lipsky (STAN) def. No. 53 Ari Strasberg & Alex Vlaski (UW) 8-6
2. Matt Hanlin & Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Pade & Corkery (STAN) 9-8
3. Christoph Palmanshofer & Peter Scharler (UW) def. Morris & Warburg (STAN) 8-4
1. No. 10 David Martin (STAN) def. No. 19 Matt Hanlin (UW) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
2. No. 8 Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Scott Lipsky (STAN) 7-5, 6-2
3. KC Corkery (STAN) def. Fred Sundsten (UW) 6-7, 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 61 Sam Warburg (STAN) def. C. Palmanshopfer (UW) 6-4, 6-4
5. James Pade (STAN) def. Ari Stasberg (UW) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Phil Sheng (STAN) def. Dillon Ruby (UW) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (clinch)