Men's Tennis Unable to Upset Stanford
March 29, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 56 Oregon men's tennis team played tough against another Pac-10 foe, but lost to No. 6 Stanford, 6-1. The Ducks (8-7, 0-2) came close to winning the doubles point, but the Cardinal (14-2, 2-0) edged the Ducks and went on to win five of six singles matches.
Freshman Thomas Bieri and sophomore Manuel Kost defeated the No. 27-ranked doubles team in the country of KC Corkery and James Pade, 8-2, at the No. 2 position. Bieri and Kost raced out to an early lead and never looked back.
At the No. 1 position, Stanford's No. 4-ranked tandem of Scott Lipsky and David Martin defeated Oregon's No. 42-ranked pair of Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig, 8-3. The doubles point was decided at No. 3, where Jason Menke and Arron Spencer eventually lost, 8-6.
In singles play, Kost picked up his second win of the day by defeating No. 12 Martin in straight sets. Kost, ranked No. 92 nationally, won the final two games of the match to defeat Stanford's top player, 6-4, 6-3.
Teig nearly won against No. 64 Lipsky, but the Cardinal player won in a 10-point third-set tiebreaker, 6-7, 6-4, 1-0. Teig fought off three match points in the tiebreaker, but Lipsky converted on his fourth try, winning 10-5.
The Ducks hit the road to face Arizona Friday at 1:30 p.m. Oregon will conclude the road trip with a match against Arizona State, Saturday at noon.
No. 6 Stanford defeats No. 56 Oregon, 6-1.
1. No. 92 Manuel Kost (O) def. No. 12 David Martin (S), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 64 Scott Lipsky (S) def. Oded Teig (O), 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (5)
3. No. 57 Sam Warburg (S) def. Sven Swinnen (O), 6-2, 6-0
4. James Pade (S) def. Thomas Bieri (O), 6-3, 6-2
5. Phil Sheng (S) def. Jason Menke (O), 6-1, 7-5
6. Carter Morris (S) def. Arron Spencer (O), 6-2, 6-1
1. No. 4 Lipsky/Martin (O) def. No. 42 Swinnen/Teig (O), 8-3
2. Bieri/Kost (O) def. No. 27 Corkery/Pade (S), 8-2
3. Sheng/Warburg (S) def. Menke/Spencer (O), 8-6
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive