Women's Tennis Notches 4-3 Win Over Arizona
March 29, 2003
LOS ANGELES - In one of its closest matches in nearly two months, the No. 3 USC women's tennis team notched a 4-3 victory over No. 46 Arizona on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The win is the Women of Troy's 12th consecutive as they improve to 17-1 overall and 4-0 in the Pac-10. The Wildcats drop to 5-9 overall and 0-3 in the Pac-10.
USC enjoyed top performances from its No. 1 and 2 doubles teams to start the afternoon. Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer defeated Emilie Scribot and Maja Mlakar, 8-5, at center court, while Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola defeated Debbie Larocque and Kristy Randano, 8-2, at No. 2 to ensure the first point for the Women of Troy.
Despite the deficit, Arizona did not let up in singles play. With outstanding play from the top of its lineup, the Wildcats managed to earn wins at courts one, two and three, posing USC with its toughest challenge since January. But the Trojans did not give in and secured wins at the No. 4, 5 and 6 positions to capture the match victory. Brymer and junior Melissa Esmero posted two-set wins at courts four and six, as Carine Vermeulen came from behind to defeat Kelly Perry, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 5.
The Women of Troy host Stanford and California next Friday, April 4, and Saturday, April 5, at Marks Stadium.
#3 USC 4, #46 Arizona 3
(1) #18 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Scribot/Mlakar (Ariz) - 8-5
(2) Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Larocque/Randono (Ariz) - 8-2
(3) Perry/Hollands (Ariz) def. Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #20 Emilie Scribot (Ariz) def. #6 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
(2) #75 Maja Mlakar (Ariz) def. #34 Luana Magnani (USC) - 6-4, 7-6
(3) #54 Diane Hollands (Ariz) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (Ariz) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) #116 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Kelly Perry (Ariz) - 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
(6) #99 Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Kristy Randano (Ariz) - 6-3, 6-2
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 3:00pm PTLive