Women's Tennis Notches First Pac-10 Win Over No. 42 Cougars
April 4, 2003
PULLMAN, Wash. - The No. 45 Arizona women's tennis team won its first Pac-10 match of the regular season Friday versus Washington State, 6-1. The Wildcats improve to 6-9, 1-8 in the Pac-10.
The Wildcats took the doubles point with wins in the second and third spots. In the No. 2 spot, junior Debbie Larocque and freshman Kristy Randono teamed up and won for the first time this season over WSU's Zorana Roganovic and Orsolya Sallai, 9-8 (8-6). In the third spot, sophomore Maja Mlakar teamed up with sophomore Dianne Hollands to defeat Zsofi Fodor and Nora Gaal, 8-6.
In singles play, No. 20 graduate student Emilie Scribot defeated No. 107 Sallai in the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-1. In the second spot, No. 75 Mlakar won versus No. 95 Lorena Arias, 6-0, 6-2. No. 54 Hollands defeated Chris Martinez in the third position, 6-2, 6-3. WSU's Gaal fell to Larocque in the fourth spot, 6-4, 6-0. In the fifth spot, sophomore Kelly Perry defeated the Cougars' Annabel Stefanchuk, 6-1, 6-7, 7-6.
The Wildcats will look for a second Pac-10 win Saturday versus Washington at noon.
1. #20 Emilie Scribot (UA) def. #107 Orsolya Sallai (WSU), 6-4, 6-1
2. #75 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. #95 Lorena Arias (WSU), 6-0, 6-2
3. #54 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Chris Martinez (WSU), 6-2, 63
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Nora Gaal (WSU), 6-4, 6-0
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Annabel Stefanchuk (WSU), 6-1, 6-7, 7-6
6. Zsofi Fodor (WSU) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 6-4, 6-4
1. Arias/Martinez (WSU) def. Scribot/Mlakar (UA), 8-3
2. Larocque/Randono (UA) def. Roganovic/Sallai (WSU), 9-8(8-6)
3. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Fodor/Gaal (WSU), 8-6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive