Women's Tennis Defeats Cal With Comeback Effort
April 5, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The No. 1-ranked USC women's tennis team used a come-from-behind effort to defeat No. 2 California, 4-3, on Saturday at Marks Tennis Stadium. A day after falling to second-ranked Stanford, the Women of Troy bounced back against the Golden Bears to split the difficult weekend series.
With the win, USC improves to 18-2 overall, with Cal falls to 16-3.
The Trojans found themselves down from the start, as Cal won all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead heading into singles. The Bears then gained a 3-0 advantage, winning the first two singles matches in straight sets at courts four and six before the Women of Troy began to mount their comeback.
USC earned its first win on center court as Jewel Peterson defeated Raquel Kops-Jones, 6-3, 6-4. At this point the Trojans seemed to have gained full control of the comeback, having reached match point in the three remaining matches, but Cal was not done fighting.
Cal's Christina Fusano and Nicole Havlicek pushed Luana Magnani and Tiffany Brymer to a third set at the No. 2 and 5 spots, respectively, while Maureen Diaz and Jieun Jacobs were headed into a tiebreaker at No. 3. Diaz eventually won her match 6-3, 7-6 to bring the Women of Troy within one, 3-2.
Brymer took full control of her third set as she rolled to a 7-5, 6-7, 6-0 victory to tie the score. Magnani and Fusano were left to decide match. Despite being down 3-0 at the start of the final set, Magnani embarked on her own comeback to defeat Fusano, 6-2, 5-7, 6-3, and clinch the victory for the Women of Troy.
The match marked the final home outing for seniors Peterson, Diaz, Brymer and Anita Loyola. USC will travel to face Washington and Washington State next Friday and Saturday, April 11 and 12.
#1 USC 4, #2 California 3
(1) #5 Kops-Jones/Fusano (Cal) def. #18 Peterson/Brymer (USC) - 9-7
(2) Jacobs/Scheldt (Cal) def. Magnani/Loyola (USC) - 8-6
(3) Havlicek/Lynch (Cal) def. Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) - 8-5
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #9 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) #34 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #36 Christina Fusano (Cal) - 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
(3) #84 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. #57 Jieun Jacobs (Cal) - 6-3, 7-6
(4) #90 Catherine Lynch (Cal) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) - 7-5, 6-7, 6-0
(6) Jody Scheldt (Cal) def. #99 Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-3, 6-4