Men's Tennis Loses to No. 6 UCLA
April 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 61 Oregon men's tennis team lost to No. 6 UCLA, 6-1, in Los Angeles on Friday. The Ducks (8-10, 0-5) pushed three matches to three sets in singles action, but the Bruins (18-2, 4-0) had already clinched the match.
Senior Oded Teig, a native of Holon, Israel, won the Ducks' only match of the day at No. 2 singles, 7-5, 2-6, 1-0, over No. 120 Rodrigo Grilli. Sophomore Sven Swinnen lost a tough match at No. 3 against No. 35 Chris Lam, 3-6, 6-3, 1-0, while freshman Thomas Bieri lost an even closer match, 5-7, 7-6, 1-0, to No. 64 Efran Djahangiri.
Earlier in doubles action, the Bruins won all three matches to take a 1-0 lead. UCLA then won the first three matches off the court in singles action to clinch the team victory.
'They're one of the better teams in the country,' Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'The challenge will be to bounce back tomorrow. Hopefully, the guys will be able to do that.'
The Ducks will finish their road season Saturday against No. 23 USC in Los Angeles. The match is scheduled to begin at noon.
No. 6 UCLA def. No. 61 Oregon, 6-1.
1. No. 5 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. No. 63 Manuel Kost (UO), 6-2, 6-3
2. Oded Teig (UO) def. No. 120 Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA), 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. No. 35 Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Sven Swinnen (UO), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
4. No. 64 Efran Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Thomas Bieri (UO), 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Andrew Walker (UO), 6-0, 6-1
6. Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-2, 6-1
1. No. 22 Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Swinnen/Teig (UO), 8-3
2. No. 38 Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Bieri/Kost (UO), 8-4
3. Djahangiri/Francis (UCLA) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive