Women Of Troy Suffer 6-1 Loss At Washington
April 11, 2003
SEATTLE, Wash. - Seventh-ranked Washington women's tennis upset second-ranked USC, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. The loss is just the third of the season for the Women of Troy, who have fallen only to then-No.2 Florida (5-1) on Feb. 8 and then-No.2 Stanford (5-2) on April 4.
With the win, the Huskies improve to 15-3 overall and 4-2 Pac-10, while USC drops to 18-3, 4-1 in conference play.
Washington got off to a good start by sweeping all three doubles matches, including a win by Claire Carter and Darija Klaic over USC's Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson, 8-6, at center court to clinch the doubles point.
The Women of Troy were forced to adjust their singles lineup at the last minute after sophomore Luana Magnani had to pull out of the match with an injury. The highlight of the afternoon turned out to be the play of USC's Melissa Esmero, who was inserted for Magnani and won her match at the No. 6 spot, 6-3, 7-6(5).
But Magnani's abcense at No. 2 moved everyone up a spot and one-by-one Washington captured two-set victories at positions one through five to secure the win. The Huskies clinched the match when Dea Sumantri, playing at the top spot for the first time, defeated the Trojans' Jewel Peterson, 6-1, 6-2.
USC will now travel to Pullman, Wash., to face No. 46 Washington State on Saturday, April 12, at noon.
#7 Washington 6, #2 USC 1
(1) #13 Carter/Klaic (Wash) def. #19 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-6
(2) Gray/Sumantri (Wash) def. Magnani/Loyola (USC) - 8-6
(3) Boisclair/Hoe (Wash) def. Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) - 8-4
Washington wins doubles point.
(1) #37 Dea Sumantri (Wash) def. #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(2) #47 Claire Carter (Wash) def. #64 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) #58 Darija Klaic (Wash) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(4) #124 Erin Boisclair (Wash) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) Colleen Gray (Wash) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Erin Hoe (Wash) - 6-3, 7-6(5)
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive