No. 15 Men's Tennis Blanked By No. 4 UCLA 7-0
April 12, 2003
WESTWOOD, Calif. - Washington men's tennis fell victim to a stellar performance from UCLA as the fourth-ranked Bruins blanked the 15th-ranked Huskies 7-0 in a Pac-10 contest held at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, Saturday afternoon.
The loss dropped Washington to 15-5 overall and 1-5 against Pac-10 opponents, while UCLA improved to 19-2 and 5-0 in conference play. The Huskies' setback came just one day after notching their first-ever win over USC on Friday, a win that snapped a four-match losing streak.
The Bruins dominated play on the courts, claiming the doubles point and winning all six singles matches in straight sets. UW's lone victor was the doubles team of Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby, who upset the 38th-ranked duo of Tobias Clemens and Lassi Ketola, 9-7.
The Huskies wrap the regular season and culminate a five-match road swing next week with a trip to Eugene to face the Oregon Ducks, Saturday, April 19 at 12 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. UCLA
April 12, 2003 o LA Tennis Center
No. 4 UCLA 7, No. 15 Washington 0
1. (22) Grilli/Matkowski(UCLA) def. (33) Strasberg/Vlaski (UW), 8-3
2. Hanlin/Ruby (UW) def. (38) Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) , 9-7
3. Djahangiri/ Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Sundsten/Nick Weiss (UW) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. (5) Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. (10) Matt Hanlin (UW) 6-1, 6-3
2. (40) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. (26) Alex Vlaski (UW) 6-2, 6-2
3. (120) Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) def. Fred Sundsten (UW) 6-2, 6-2
4. (35) Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Ari Strasberg (UW) 6-0, 6-4
5. (64) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) 6-3, 6-2
6. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Dillon Ruby (UW) 6-2, 6-2