No. 23 USC Downs Men's Tennis
April 12, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 61 Oregon men's tennis team lost to No. 23 USC, 6-1, Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles. The Ducks (8-11, 0-6) almost won the doubles point, but then lost five of the six singles matches to the Trojans (13-9, 2-3).
'It was disappointing,' Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'We had put a lot of hopes on this match, but we just let it get away from us. We'll just have to focus on next week now.'
The Ducks squandered an excellent chance to win the doubles point, as they took leads in all three matches. Jason Menke and Arron Spencer got the ball rolling for Oregon, winning at No. 3, 8-4. Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig led 6-5 in their match at No. 1, but Prakash Amritraj and Jeff Kazarian came back to win the final three games. At No. 2, Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost led 7-4, but USC's tandem of Daniel Langre and Parker Collins won five games in a row to clinch the match and the doubles point.
In singles action, Bieri picked up Oregon's only point with his defeat of Collins at No. 4, 7-6, 6-2. Teig pushed Langre to three sets at No. 2, but eventually lost, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. At No. 5, Chris King also went to three sets, but USC's Kazarian held off the charge and won, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2.
Oregon will finish its regular season at home against Washington on Sunday, April 20. The match will be played at noon at the 15th Street Courts, weather permitting.
No. 23 USC def. No. 61 Oregon, 6-1.
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Swinnen/Teig (Oregon) - 8-6
(2) Langre/Collins (USC)def. Bieri/Kost (Oregon) - 9-7
(3) Menke/Spencer (Oregon) def. Berg/Torres (USC) - 8-4
(1) No. 53 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. No. 63 Manuel Kost (Oregon) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Oded Teig (Oregon) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(3) No. 115 Johan Berg (USC) def. Sven Swinnen (Oregon) - 6-3, 6-4
(4) Thomas Bieri (Oregon) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 7-6 (5), 6-2
(5) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Chris King (Oregon) - 6-4, 6-7(1), 6-2
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Jason Menke (Oregon) - 6-1, 6-4