No. 39 Women's Tennis Upsets No. 4 Cal, 4-3
April 12, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The 39th-ranked Arizona women's tennis team pulled a huge upset Saturday against the No. 4 Cal Golden Bears, 4-3. The win marked the Wildcats' second Pac-10 win of the season, and improved their record to 8-11.
The Cats started the match by winning the doubles point in the first and third spots. In the top position, Arizona's unranked team of sophomore Maja Mlakar and graduate student Emilie Scribot upset Cal's No. 3 duo of Raquel Kops-Jones and Christina Fusano, 8-4. To clinch the doubles point, sophomores Dianne Hollands and Kelly Perry teamed up and defeated Nicole Havlicek and Catherine Lynch, 9-8. Hollands and Perry have won four of the last five matches they have competed in and are 11-2 overall.
In singles play, No. 10 Scribot added to the list of upsets during the match, defeating No. 7 Kops-Jones in the top spot, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. In the third position, No. 52 Hollands defeated Lynch, 6-2, 6-2. The Wildcats lost in the bottom three singles spots, tying the match at 3-3. On court two, No. 50 Mlakar battled with No. 31 Fusano for the match win. After winning the first set, 6-2, Mlakar dropped the second set to Fusano, 2-6. But Mlakar came out on top, winning the tie-breaker, 6-2, and helping the Cats to their second Pac-10 victory of the season.
Saturday's win over Cal marked the Wildcats' final home match. The last match of the regular season will be at noon on April 19 at Arizona State.
1. #10 Emilie Scribot (UA) def. #7 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. #50 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. #31 Christina Fusano (Cal), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. #52 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Catherine Lynch (Cal), 6-2, 6-2
4. #53 Jieun Jacobs (Cal) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 7-5, 6-1
5. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jody Scheldt (Cal) def. Zorica Zasova (UA), 6-4, 6-2
1. Mlakar/Scribot (UA) def. #3 Fusano/Kops-Jones (Cal), 8-4
2. Jacobs/Scheldt (Cal) def. Larocque/Randono (UA), 9-7
3. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Havlicek/Lynch (Cal), 9-8
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive