No. 7 Huskies Win Fourth Straight With Victory Over No. 15 UCLA, 6-1
April 12, 2003
SEATTLE, Wash. -- Washington women's tennis (16-3 overall, 5-2 Pac-10) downed UCLA (13-8 overall, 4-2 Pac-10), 6-1, Saturday afternoon at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center. The seventh-ranked Huskies defeated the 15th-ranked Bruins, getting their second win in the all-time series, which now stands at 2-10.
The Huskies, who had just beaten No. 2 USC Friday, looked strong against the Bruins, sweeping the doubles point. UW's tandem of Claire Carter and Darija Klaic downed Laura Gordon and Sara Walker, 8-3, while Colleen Gray and Dea Sumantri clinched the doubles point.
In singles action, the Huskies won five out of six matches, with the only loss coming at No. 1 singles, as Sumantri battled, but eventually fell to Walker, 7-5, 4-6, with a 14-12 tie breaker. Junior All-American Carter won her second straight defeating Susie Wild in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
The Huskies will now look to wrap up the regular season dual schedule facing in-state rival Washington State, Saturday, April 19, at 12 p.m. The contest will be held either at Bill Quillian Stadium or the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center, depending on weather conditions. Pac-10 Championships will be held April 24-27, in Ojai, Calif.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. UCLA
April 12, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 7 Washington 6, No. 15 UCLA 1
1. (13) Carter & Klaic (UW) def. Gordon & Walker (UCLA) 8-3
2. Gray & Sumantri (UW) def. Esseghir & Loncaric (UCLA) 8-3 clinch
3. Boisclair & Hoe (UW) def. Gregg & Wild (UCLA) 8-6
1. (12) Sara Walker (UCLA) def. (37) Dea Sumantri (UW) 7-5, 4-6 (14-12)
2. (47) Claire Carter (UW) def. (71) Susi Wild (UCLA) 7-5, 6-2
3. (58) Darija Klaic (UW) def. Feriel Essegnir (UCLA) 7-6 (4), 2-1 ret.
4. (124) Erin Boisclair (UW) def. (77) Sarah Gregg (UCLA) 6-1, 3-1 ret.
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA) 6-1, 6-3 clinch
6. Erin Hoe (UW) def. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2