No. 5 Stanford Edges No. 3 UCLA, 4-3
April 18, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif. - In one of the closest matches in UCLA history, the fifth-ranked Stanford men's tennis team was able to hold off the No. 5 Bruins, 4-3 Friday in a Pac-10 showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the victory, the Cardinal (20-3; 6-0 Pac-10) is guaranteed a least a share of the 2003 Pac-10 title and can win it outright with a victory over USC tomorrow.
Stanford got off to a strong start on the afternoon, claiming all three doubles matches for the one point awarded for doubles play. It marked only the fourth time in 22 matches this season that UCLA failed to claim the doubles point.
The Cardinal continued its hot streak into singles play, winning the first set on four of six courts. Stanford took a 2-0 lead in the dual match when KC Corkery defeated UCLA's Rodrigo Grilli, 6-2, 6-1 at court No. 3. Shortly thereafter Stanford went ahead 3-0 when James Pade downed Bruin senior Erfan Djahangiri, 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position.
UCLA, however, would not go down without a fight. At court No. 1, Bruin junior Tobias Clemens posted a 6-3, 6-4 decision over David Martin to cut the lead to 3-1.
Next to Clemens on court No. 2, UCLA's Marcin Matkowski battled back from a set down against Scott Lipsky to come back and win 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
With all three matches on the front courts concluded and Stanford up 3-2, all attention then shifted to the back courts. At court No. 6, Lassi Ketola was able to tie the dual match score at 3-3 following a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 victory over Stanford's Phil Sheng.
At the time of Ketola's victory, Stanford's Sam Warburg was up a break at 6-5 in the third set of his match with Chris Lam at court No. 4. Warburg served it out to clinch the match for Stanford, winning 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
The Cardinal will be in action again tomorrow at USC.
1. (2) Lipsky/Martin (Stanford) def. (22) Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) - 8-4
2. Corkery/Pade (Stanford) def. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) - 9-7
3. Carter Morris/Warburg (Stanford) def. Djahangiri/ Alberto Francis (UCLA) - 8-6
1. (5) Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. (12) David Martin (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-4
2. (40) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. (61) Scott Lipsky (Stanford) - 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. (43) KC Corkery (Stanford) def. (120) Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) - 6-2, 6-1
4. (76) Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. (35) Chris Lam (UCLA) - 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
5. James Pade (Stanford) def. (64) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-1
6. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive