Women's Tennis Falls to No. 25 San Diego State
April 18, 2003
SAN DIEGO - The No. 38 Oregon's women's tennis team lost a tough match to No. 25 San Diego State, 4-3, Friday on the road. The Ducks (10-14,2-6) lost the doubles point and could not quite catch up in singles action against the Aztecs (19-5).
'It was a really tough loss for us,' Oregon coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We had our chances out there, but the doubles probably cost us. We felt like we played well enough to win.'
The Aztecs took a 1-0 lead after doubles play by winning two of the three matches. In a match of ranked opponents, San Diego State's pair of Indra Erichsen and Silvia Tornier, ranked No. 39, bested No. 28 Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova, 8-5. Oregon's win in doubles play came at No. 2, with Monika Gieczys and Jamie Marshall beating Lindsey Hedberg and Katja Karrento, 8-6.
In singles play, the team's split the six matches, with the team score coming down to the final match on the court. With the overall score tied, 3-3, No. 44 Nagle and Hedberg batlled it out at No. 2 for the win. Hedberg came back after losing the first set and eventually won, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.
Ester Bak won for Oregon at No. 6, 6-1, 6-3, to score the Ducks' first point. Marshall won next for the Ducks at No. 4, 7-5, 6-2, while Julie Merle finished out the scoring with a 6-2, 7-6 victory at No. 5.
The Ducks will conclude their regular season with a Saturday match against No. 63 San Diego. The match is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
No. 25 San Diego State def. No. 38 Oregon, 4-3.
1. Silvia Tornier (SDSU) def. No. 17 Daria Panova (UO), 6-2, 6-1
2. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) def. No. 44 Courtney Nagle (UO), 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Katalina Romero (SDSU) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jamie Marshall (UO) def. Katja Karrento (SDSU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Julie Merle (UO) def. Patricia Graf (SDSU), 6-2, 7-6
6. Ester Bak (UO) def. Indra Erichsen (SDSU), 6-1, 6-3
1. No. 39 Erichsen/Tornier (SDSU) def. No. 28 Nagle/Panova (UO), 8-5
2. Gieczys/Marshall (UO) def. Hedberg/Karrento (SDSU), 8-6
3. Graf/Romero (SDSU) def. Bak/Merle (UO), 8-6