Men's Tennis Drops Final Pac-10 Dual To Arizona
April 19, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 38-ranked Arizona men's tennis team defeated No. 28 Arizona State in the final Pac-10 dual match of the season Saturday, April 19, by a score of 5-2. The Wildcats won the doubles point and four of the six singles matches to earn the team victory. Arizona closes the dual match season, 9-10 overall and 3-4 in the Pac-10, while the Sun Devils fall to 9-11 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-10.
The Wildcats won the doubles point by earning victories on courts two and three. The first match to finish was on court one where junior Whi Kim and sophomore Paul Warkentin fell to Chris Stewart and Chris Letcher, 8-4. Shortly after court one rapped up, junior Carl Hagman and freshman Daniel Andrus defeated Pim Van Mele and Ryan McBride, 8-4, to tie the doubles competition. The doubles point now rested on court two, where sophomore Colin O'Grady and freshman Roger Matalonga were facing Oliver Charroin and Clint Letcher. The Wildcats won the closely contested match, 9-8 (6).
In singles action, the Wildcats earned victories on courts two, three, five and six. Carl Hagman who is ranked No. 112 nationally by the ITA defeated No. 106 Chris Letcher on court two, 6-3, 7-6 (6). On court five, O'Grady dropped Ryan McBride in straight sets, 6-1, 7-6 (2). Clinching the match for Arizona was Andrus who won over Ryan Eveloff in the No. 6 slot, 6-3, 6-1. Kim fell to No. 82 Pim Van Mele on court one, 7-6 (5), 6-1. In the No. 4 position, Matalonga lost to Olivier Charroin, 6-3, 6-3.
The Sun Devils will next be in action at the Pacific 10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., April 24 - 27.
1. Stewart/Chris Letcher (ASU) def. Kim/Warkentin (UA) -8-4
2. Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Charroin/Letcher (ASU) - 9-8 (6)
3. Hagman/Andrus (UA) def. Van Mele/McBride (ASU) - 8-4
1. No. 82 Van Mele (ASU) def. Kim (UA) - 7-6 (5), 6-1
2. No. 112 Hagman (UA) def. No. 106 Chris Letcher (ASU) - 6-3, 7-6 (6)
3. Warkentin (UA) def. Stewart (ASU) - 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Charroin (ASU) def. Matalonga (UA) - 6-3, 6-3
5. O'Grady (UA) def. McBride (ASU) - 6-1, 7-6 (2)
6. Andrus (UA) def. Eveloff (ASU) - 6-3, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive