Men's Tennis Narrowly Defeated by No. 13 Washington
April 19, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 65 Oregon men's tennis team lost 4-3 to No. 13 Washington Saturday in Eugene at the 15th Street Courts. The Ducks (8-12, 0-7) lost the doubles point and could not quite overcome the difference against the Huskies (16-5, 2-5).
Washington's Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler defeated Jason Menke and Arron Spencer at No. 3 doubles, 8-2, to give the Huskies the early advantage. The next match off the court was at No. 2, where Matt Hanlin and Dillon Ruby defeated Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost, 9-8, to give Washington the doubles point. In the final doubles match, Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig defeated the No. 33-ranked pair of Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski at No. 1, 8-6.
In singles, Washington took a quick 2-0 team lead following Palmanshofer's victory at No. 5, 6-1, 6-0. Oregon countered with Swinnen's win at No. 3, 6-0, 6-4, drawing the Ducks within one point. The Huskies extended their lead yet again with Ruby defeating Menke at No. 6, 6-2, 6-4.
At that point, the Ducks knew they had to win the final three matches on the court in order to claim a team victory. Kost, the No. 63-ranked player in the nation, did his job at No. 1, defeating No. 10 Alex Vlaski, 6-3, 6-4.
Teig won the first set at No. 2 against No. 26 Matt Hanlin, but Hanlin fought back to win the match, 6-7, 6-1, 6-2, to clinch the win for the Huskies. In the final match on the court, Bieri won a see-saw battle at No. 4, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, against Strasberg.
Menke and Teig were each playing in their final dual match as a Duck. Teig, a co-captain with Menke this season, has the Oregon career record for most singles victories with 69.
Oregon will play beginning Thursday at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif. The individual tournament will be a four-day event.
No. 13 Washington def. No. 65 Oregon, 4-3.
1. No. 63 Manuel Kost (UO) def. No. 10 Alex Vlaski (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 26 Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Oded Teig (UO), 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
3. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Fred Sundsten (UW), 6-0, 6-4
4. Thomas Bieri (UO) def. Ari Strasberg (UW), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Chris King (UO), 6-1, 6-0
6. Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-2, 6-4
1. Swinnen/Teig (UO) def. No. 33 Strasberg/Vlaski (UW), 8-6
2. Hanlin/Ruby (UW) def. Bieri/Kost (UO), 9-8 (3)
3. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive