Men's Tennis Blanks UCSB To Advance To NCAA Second Round
May 10, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 21 USC men's tennis team (14-11) defeated No. 62 UC Santa Barbara (15-9), 4-0, Saturday afternoon in a first round NCAA Regional match at UCLAï¿½s Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the victory, the Trojans advance to tomorrowï¿½s regional final and will meet the winner of sixth-seeded UCLA and Wichita State.
USC started the day by winning the doubles point with victories at court Nos. 2 and 3 to earn a 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
In singles action, the Trojans came out strong, winning the first set on all six courts. First to finish was court No. 2, where USC's Johan Berg lost just two games en route to a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Mirco Schwindt. Shortly thereafter, Trojan Parker Collins gave USC a 3-0 advantage following his 6-3, 6-1 victory over Michael Frick at No. 5 singles.
The dual-match was clinched at the No. 4 position, where USC's Ruben Torres posted a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Alex Anselme.
'I am very pleased with the energy and intensity we came out with today for our first round match,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Now we have to create a little magic for our match tomorrow.'
Tomorrow's regional final begins at 1 p.m. at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
(1) Palencia/Schwindt (UCSB) def. #48 Amritraj/Jeff Kazarian (USC) - 8-5
(2) #52 Collins/Langre (USC) def. Anselme/Placek (UCSB) - 8-5
(3) Berg/Torres (USC) def. Brotman/Frick (UCSB) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #43 Prakash Amritraj (USC) vs. (115) Carlos Palencia (UCSB) - suspended
(2) Johan Berg (USC) def. Mirco Schwindt (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-0
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) vs. Mike Placek (UCSB) - suspended.
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Alex Anselme (UCSB) - 6-2, 6-1*
(5) Parker Collins (USC) def. Michael Frick (UCSB) - 6-3, 6-1
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) vs. Nicholas Brotman (UCSB) - suspended
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish (Singles): 2, 5, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 12/12 | 7:00pm PTLive