Stanford Advances To NCAA Semifinals
May 16, 2003
Gainesville, Fla. - For the fifth consecutive year, the top-seeded and top-ranked Stanford women's tennis team advances to the NCAA Semifinals with a 4-0 shutout of No. 7 Georgia on Friday afternoon at the Team Championships at the University of Florida. The Cardinal, going for their third straight title, improve to 24-1 on the year while the Bulldogs end their season at 19-5.
Stanford, which has not dropped a point through the first four rounds of the 64-team event, will face fourth-seeded Cal (23-5) in the semifinals on Saturday at 2 p.m. (ET). The Golden Bears advanced with a 4-1 win over fifth-seed USC on Friday. In the other quarterfinals, No. 2 Florida (29-2) defeated Vanderbilt 4-0 and No. 3 Duke shutout Duke 4-0 setting up a Florida/Duke matchup in the semifinals.
California handed the Cardinal their only loss of the season, 4-3 at the Team Indoor Championships. Since then Stanford has won 22 consecutive matches and defeated Cal twice 6-1 and 4-3 in Berkeley to capture the Pac-10 Title on April 22.
The Cardinal took the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 3. The top-ranked team of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA) posted Stanford's first win of the day, 8-4. Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) and Story Tweedie-Yates (Remond, WA) clinched the point with an 8-5 win at No. 3.
Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) put the Cardinal up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Lori Grey at the fourth spot. Burdette added another point at No. 3, defeating Tina Hojnik 6-4, 6-2. Anderson then clinched the match and put Stanford into the semifinals with a 6-2, 7-6 defeat over Evgenia Subbotina at No. 5.
No. 1 Stanford 4, No. 7 Georgia 0
Doubles (Stanford Wins Point):
1. #1 Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. #2 Ciorch/Grey (UG) - 8-4
2. Barnes/Liu (STAN) vs. Hojnik/Nguyen (UG) - 7-5 (suspended, Stanford leads)
3. Anderson/Tweedie-Yates (STAN) def. Smith/Wink (UG) - 8-5*
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. #3 Agata Cioroch (UG) vs. Amber Liu (STAN) - 7-6, 2-2 (suspended, Georgia leads)
2. #16 Lauren Barnikow (STAN) vs. Anne Nguyen (UG) - 6-4, 4-5 (suspended, Stanford leads)
3. #27 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. #72 Tina Hojnik (UG) - 6-4, 6-2
4. #11 Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Lori Grey (UG) - 6-1, 6-0
5. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Evgenia Subbotina (UG) - 6-2, 7-6*
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) vs. Alexandra Smith (UG) - 6-3, 4-3 (suspended, Stanford leads)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive