No. 14 Maryland Downs WSU 3-0

SEATTLE, Wash. --- No. 14 Maryland downed Washington State 3-0 in front of a crowd of 1,110 at Husky Soccer Stadium in the Cougars' second match of the Arena Sports Pac-10/ACC Challenge.

The Cougars came out fast and strong in the opening minutes of the match, maintaining the majority of ball possession. WSU recorded two corner kicks, two fouls and one shot in the first 10 minutes of the game, but it was the Terrapins who scored first and last.

The first goal of the match came at the 24:43 mark on a penalty kick scored by Maryland forward Kimmy Francis. The penalty situation was drawn when Cougar goalkeeper Sarah Leibowitz was drawn out of her goal to oncoming forward Katie Ludwig. Taking advantage of an open goal, Ludwig turned and shot into Cougar defender Mariette Boyce who was called for a hand ball in the box.

Just one minute later Francis widened the Maryland lead to two, scoring her second goal of the match, finishing a low cross from midfielder Simone Dekker.

With five minutes left in the half, Terp goalkeeper Kristen Barnhill came up with two big saves when WSU midfielder Carmen Anderson came down the left-hand flank, beating two defenders and taking a hard shot that Barnhill deflected. Anderson shot first-time off of the deflection, but Barnhill was able to hold onto Anderson's second attempt.

Maryland scored on a quick counter attack when Dekker received a forward pass from midfielder Audra Poulin and finished in the upper left-side netting.

Within 30 seconds of Dekker's goal, the Cougs had another great scoring opportunity when junior forward Sara Silver-Hill shot just wide of the left hand post, taking advantage of a Terp defensive scramble.

The Cougs had several opportunities to score in the second half recording eight shots, but were unable to put away any of their scoring chances. The best opportunity came in the 89th minute when senior forward Shelby Brownfield had a shot hit off of the upper left-hand post.

'Credit to Maryland for putting away their chances, but I thought the game was a more evenly matched contest than the score showed,' WSU Head Coach, Matt Potter said after the match. 'We hate to lose as a team, but this is the first time I can remember losing by three goals and still feeling pleased with the players' work ethic and the progress they showed from the last game.

'We have some small details that we need to continue to work on, but if we can carry our energy and enthusiasm from this game into the future we will reach our season goals. All this said, I can't wait to get to training on Tuesday.'

At halftime, goalkeeper Katie Hutlin came on as a substitution for Leibowitz, who suffered an injury in the first half, and recorded 45 shutout minutes.

The Cougars were missing starting senior midfielder Kim Morgan who suffered a knee sprain during the North Carolina match. Morgan is expected back in two weeks. WSU also played without sophomore forward Alix Rustrum and freshman Jessica Gerstmann.

WSU resumes play Friday in Pullman against Cal Poly at 3 p.m. on the Lower Soccer Field.

Now on Pac-12 Network
1:30 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network