Tommy Prothro Practice Complex to be Dedicated Saturday
Sept. 9, 2003
Corvallis, Ore. - Oregon State University will officially dedicate its football practice facility in the name of the late Tommy Prothro this Saturday. The dedication, to be held on the practice fields, begins at 12:45 p.m. and the public is invited to attend. Scheduled speakers include OSU President Dr. Edward Ray, and Director of Athletics Bob De Carolis. The widow of Tommy, Shirley Prothro, is also expected to be in attendance.
The entire complex, including the Merritt Truax Indoor Center, will now be named the Tommy Prothro Football Complex. The school also announced it will rename the practice fields in the honor of donors Dick and Yvonne DeArmond, and Art and Cheryl Lutz.
Prothro served as the head coach of the program for 10 seasons (1955-64) and led the Beavers to a cumulative record of 63-37-2. Under his guidance, Oregon State appeared in the Rose Bowl twice and the Liberty Bowl. He also coached 1962 Heisman Trophy winner Terry Baker, among numerous other All-Americans.
He later served as the head coach at UCLA, and professionally with the Los Angeles Rams and San Diego Chargers.
Prothro has been enshrined into the State of Oregon, OSU Sports, Duke University, UCLA, and National Football Foundation Halls of Fame.
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive