Washington State Loses A Close Battle With Wake Forest

Sept. 12, 2003

The Washington State soccer team lost to Wake Forest 2-1 in the adidas Wake Forest Tournament, Friday in Winston-Salem, N.C.. Sarah Kozey scored one goal and assisted on the other to lead the Demon Deacons.

Kozey gave Wake Forest the lead at 25:33 of the first-half. The sophomore chased down Kaitlyn Doe's centering pass and ripped a shot that glanced off the post. Kozey regained the ricochet off the post and slipped it past the Cougar redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Katie Hultin.

Neither team created much of an attack until Rachel Rodrick brought Washington State even at 54:20 of the second-half. Rodrick beat a pair of Demon Deacon defenders on the right wing, cut across the top of the box and blistered a shot into the upper-left corner, past a sprawling Kenna Healy. The goal was the first that Wake Forest had surrendered in 234:20.

A.B. Robbins picked up her first goal of the season at 62:45 to give the Deacons a 2-1 lead. Kozey whipped in a cross from the left wing and Doe one-touched it back across the box to a wide open Robbins. The senior forward slotted it past Hultin.

Healy and the rest of the Wake Forest defense held off a couple of solid Cougar scoring chances in the waning minutes to pick up the victory.

The Cougars had nine corner kick opportunities including a Mariette Boyce header off a corner that was cleared off the line by a Deacon defender in the last 10 seconds of the match.

'This was a great exhibition of soccer,' WSU Head Coach Matt Potter said. 'This match consisted of two solid teams, playing great soccer that was exciting to watch.

'We created chances and had moments of great soccer, but the difference was the quality in finishing. Duke will be another tough opponent but if we live for the next game and keep working hard good things will happen.'

Washington State plays No. 10 Duke Sunday at 11:30 a.m. in Winston-Salem, N.C.


Now on Pac-12 Network
1:30 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network