Huskies Fall In Quarterfinals At ITA Northwest Regionals
Oct. 26, 2003
STANFORD, Calif. - Two singles players and one doubles duo representing Washington women's tennis lost their quarterfinal matches and were eliminated from play at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships hosted by Stanford, Sunday.
Senior Claire Carter and freshman Saskia Nauenberg were ousted from the singles draw, while Carter and junior Dea Sumantri fell from doubles action. Seventh-seeded Carter was defeated by third-seed Daria Panova from Oregon in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Unseeded Nauenberg, who upset the No. 8 seed Courtney Nagle from Oregon in the third round of play, lost to No. 12 Margarita Karnaukhova in the quarters, 6-2, 6-2.
Carter and Sumantri's run through the doubles draw came to an end versus the top-seeded team from Stanford, Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette, with an 8-5 loss. Barnikow and Burdette will play in the tomorrow's final. Sumantri also advanced as far as the Round of 16 in the singles draw, before withdrawing on Saturday with an injury.
The doubles team of sophomore Dinka Hadzic and freshman Monika Kolbovic advanced to the Round of 16, before falling to the sixth-seeded team of Lorena Arias and Chris Martinez from Washington State, 8-2.
The ITA Regionals continue through Mon., Oct. 27, with the singles finalists and the doubles champion advancing to the ITA National Indoor Championships at the University of Michigan, Nov. 6-9.
2003 ITA Women's Northwest Regional Championships
Stanford University o Stanford, Calif.
Singles - Rd. of 16
(7) Claire Carter (UW) def. Jody Scheldt (Cal), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Amanda Sanches (Sac State), 6-0, 6-3
(16) Emilia Anderson (Stanford) def. (6) Dea Sumantri (UW), 7-5, 4-5 Ret. (injury)
Singles - Third Round
(7) Claire Carter (UW) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (Fresno State), 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
(5) Lauren Barnikow (Stanford) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW), 7-5, 7-6(7)
Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. (8) Courtney Nagle (Oregon), 6-2, 6-3
(6) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Lucia Sainz (Cal Poly), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Doubles - Quarterfinals
(1) Lauren Barnikow/Erin Burdette (Stanford) def. (5) Claire Carter/Dea Sumantri (UW), 8-5
Doubles - Rd. of 16
(5) Claire Carter/Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Natalia Kostenko (Idaho)/Nicole Saka (Fresno State), 8-2
(6) Lorena Arias/Chris Martinez (WSU) def. Dinka Hadzic/Monika Kolbovic (UW), 8-2
Doubles - Second Round
(5) Claire Carter/Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Monica Hoz De Vila/Davina Mendiburu (Oregon), 8-1
Dinka Hadzic/Monika Kolbovic (UW) def. Kristen Grady/Samantha Waller (Cal Poly), 8-6
Ester Bak/Jamie Marshall (Oregon) def. Erin Hoe/Saskia Nauenberg (UW), 9-2(2)
Doubles - First Round
(5) Claire Carter/Dea Sumantri (UW), bye
Carol Erickson/Chelsy Thompson (Cal Poly) def. Cheryl Naruse/Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW), 9-8 (5)
Dinka Hadzic/Monika Kolbovic (UW), bye
Erin Hoe/Saskia Nauenberg (UW), bye
Consolation Singles - Third Round
Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. A. Lucker, withdrew (injury)
A. Skogerboe def. Megan Flynn (UW), 6-1, 6-1
Cheryl Naruse (UW) def. K. Nelson, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (9)
Monika Kolbovic (UW) def. D. Stankovic, 6-1, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive