Portland Upends Oregon State 3-2 In NCAA First Round

Nov. 22, 2003


Josh Brown's goal in the 87th minute lifted Portland (10-8-1) to a 3-2 come-from-behind win over Oregon State in the first round of the NCAA College Cup on Saturday afternoon at OSU's Lorenz Field at Valley Stadium.

The game was the first NCAA Tournament game played at Oregon State, and marked the second year in a row Portland ousted OSU in the first round of the tournament. UP won 2-0 last year in Portland.

With the score tied 2-2 in the 87th minute, Patrick Mooney slipped a pass to Brown well inside OSU's box. Brown turned left and fired a shot from 10 yards to the upper left corner for the final 3-2 advantage.

'Good result,' Portland coach Bill Irwin said of the game. 'The season continues thanks to these players, and now they've got to prepare for Wednesday.'

The Pilots advance to play Washington in a second-round matchup Wednesday, Nov. 26 in Seattle.

OSU (13-7-0, 7-3-0 Pac-10) entered halftime trailing 1-0 after UP's Christopher Sanders followed his own blocked header in the 27th minute to give the Pilots the lead.

The Beavers rallied in the second half to grab a 2-1 lead on the strength of two Evan McNeley scores, and held the lead into the 80th minute.

McNeley headed in OSU's first score at the 51:21 mark off a Ross Duncan corner kick to the near post to level the score at 1-1.

Twenty-six minutes later, McNeley gave OSU a brief 2-1 lead when he converted his fifth goal of the year on a penalty kick in the 78th minute.

Alan Gordon, who suffered a gash on his forehead on the play, was taken down in a collision in the penalty box to set up McNeley's kick.

Two minutes after McNeley's second goal, OSU was whistled for a handball in the box, setting up Paul Robinson's PK, which he converted to make it 2-2 with 10 minutes to play.

'I thought the guys brought a lot of energy to the game today,' OSU coach Dana Taylor said of his team. 'I thought we played quite well - all you have to do is look at the boxscore. We outshot them 20-12 and corners were 7-6, so I thought overall, we did what we had to do. I thought we performed well, and I was proud of the way we battled throughout the game.

'I told the guys in the huddle after the game that I couldn't be any prouder of the seniors and what they've accomplished in their four years here. When they started (four years ago) we were 178th out of 202 teams in Division I. These guys have propelled us into the top 10 this year. I couldn't be prouder of the way these guys have carried themselves over the last four years.'

'We've been there so many times as coaches that we know the game's not over until the final whistle,' Taylor said of the two penalty kicks in three minutes. 'At the same time, you feel momentum change, and things were in our favor after we converted the kick.'

With Gordon on the sideline receiving treatment for his injury, the Beavers were a man-down during both Portland scores. Ironically, Gordon was coming onto the field just as Brown scored UP's final goal.

'Things were looking good, and then Alan got hurt, and we were just unlucky in getting him back onto the field,' Taylor said. 'He had to fix his face from getting cut, so they scored both goals with Alan off the field - what can you do? We were playing 10-v-11.'

Oregon State concluded its season with a school-record 13 wins for the second year in a row.


Portland 1 2 - 3

Oregon State 0 2 - 2


UP - Christopher Sanders (unassisted), 36:25

OSU - Evan McNeley (Ross Duncan), 51:21

OSU - Evan McNeley (penalty kick), 77:33

UP - Paul Robinson (penalty kick), 79:54

UP - Josh Brown (Patrick Mooney), 86:04


SHOTS: UP 12, OSU 20; CORNERS: UP 7, OSU 6; SAVES: UP 4, OSU 1; FOULS: UP 18, OSU 21


OSU - Ross Duncan (YC), 89:22

Now on Pac-12 Network
7:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder