Powell, Atogwe Named Team MVPs at Annual Football Awards Banquet
Nov. 30, 2003
Senior Luke Powell and junior Oshiomogho Atogwe were named winners of the Irving S. Zeimer Award as the team's Most Valuable Players while senior Kirk Chambers won two awards and was named one of three team captains of the 2003 Cardinal. The awards were presented today at the annual Football Awards Banquet.
Powell, from Smyrna, Tenn., led the team in both receptions (45 catches, 520 yards, 3 TDs) and punt returns (36, 325 yards, 1 TD) and concluded his career as one of the most productive offensive players in school history with 128 career receptions for 2,080 yards and 11 touchdowns. Powell also won the Jim Reynolds Award as the team's most inspirational player and was named one of three team captains.
Atogwe, from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, led the Cardinal in tackles for the second consecutive season and was the team's most active defensive player in 2003. He was the only player in the Pacific-10 Conference to be among the league leaders in tackles per game (8.3), fumbles caused (he led the league with six) and fumble recoveries (he led the league with six). He was also named winner of the Gundelach Award as the team's top junior.
Chambers, who started all 45 games in his career at left tackle, won two awards and was named one of three team captains. He was awarded the Vardell Award for excellence in academics and athletics and the Al Masters Award for 'leadership and respect of his teammates.' He was named one of three team captains along with Luke Powell and Brett Pierce.
Other award winners include Mark Bradford (top freshman), Babatunde Oshinowo (top sophomore), Jared Newberry (aggressiveness and unheralded efforts), Eric Johnson and Brian Gaffney (top special teams players), Mikal Brewer and Michael Okwo (top service team players) and J.R. Lemon and Amon Gordon (top back and lineman in The Big Game).
* Vardell Award (junior or senior player who best epitomizes excellence in academics and athletics): Kirk Chambers
* Al Masters Award (to the player displaying the highest degree of leadership and respect of teammates): Kirk Chambers
* Menlo-Atherton Award (most outstanding freshman): Mark Bradford
* Deswarte-Eller Award (most outstanding sophomore): Babatunde Oshinowo
* Gundelach Award (most outstanding junior): Oshiomogho Atogwe
* Jim Reynolds Award (to the senior player whose courage on the field and devotion to the game are an inspiration to all): Luke Powell
* Jack Huston Award (to the player exemplifying aggressiveness, exceptional performance, and unheralded efforts): Jared Newberry
* Greg Piers Awards (most outstanding service team players): Mikal Brewer (offense); Michael Okwo (defense)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive