No. 6 UCLA Edges No. 19 USC, 4-3
Jan. 30, 2004
LOS ANGELES -- The 19th-ranked USC men's tennis team and sixth-ranked UCLA went the distance on Friday, with the Bruins pulling out a close, 4-3 victory at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA improves to 4-0, while the Trojans fall to 2-1.
'We were in the match and we learned a lot from our performance,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Now it's up to us to get better.'
The match does not count in the Pac-10 standings, however the Bruins do pick up points in the season-long race for the Lexus Gauntlet Trophy.
The afternoon started with both teams vying to claim the one point awarded for doubles. USC's Johan Berg and Adriano Biasella highlighted doubles play with an 8-6 upset-victory over UCLA's 36th-ranked Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, but the win was too later. The Bruins had already captured the first point of the afternoon with an 8-1 win at No. 2 and an 8-3 victory at court three.
Although the Bruins had the momentum heading into singles play, USC quickly tied the match at one apiece when Ruben Torres registered a 6-4, 6-0 decision over Aaron Yovan at the No. 6 spot. Just moments later, however, the Bruins went ahead 2-1 when Tobias Clemens defeated Berg, 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 1 position.
Next to finish was court No. 5, where UCLA's Phillip Gruendler, after losing the first set 6-0, came back to win the next two sets against Daniel Langre, 6-2, 6-3.
With a 3-1 advantage, UCLA's Francis clinched the match with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 victory over Drew Hoskins at court three.
Even though the match was already decided, USC kept the Bruins from adding to their score by winning at courts two and four. At the No. 2 position, Trojan freshman Jamil Al-Agba outlasted Chris Lam, 6-1, 7-6(4), and at No. 4 singles, Biasella edged Kwinta, 7-6(5), 6-7(4), (10-7).
#6 UCLA 4, #19 USC 3
(1) Berg/Biasella (USC) def. #36 Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) - 8-6
(2) #23 Clemens/Lam (UCLA) def. Parker Collings/Langre (USC) - 8-1
(3) Gruendler/Yovan (UCLA) def. Hoskins/Brian Wright (USC) - 8-3
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) #12 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. #35 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-1, 6-4
(2) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #18 Chris Lam (UCLA) - 6-1, 7-6(4)
(3) #90 Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. #59 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
(4) Adriano Biasella (USC) def. (79) Kris Kwinta (UCLA) - 7-6(5), 6-7(4), (10-7)
(5) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 0-6, 6-2, 6-3
(6) #51 Ruben Torres (USC) def. Aaron Yovan (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 3, 2, 4
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive