Cal Hopes to Extend Winning Streak vs. Arizona State
Feb. 6, 2004
Arizona State Sun Devils (8-11, 2-8) at California Golden Bears (10-9, 6-4)
Saturday, Feb. 7, 2 p.m., Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
Radio: KFRC (610 AM)
TV: Fox Sports Net
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* California aims for its first three-game winning streak of the year when the Bears host Arizona State Saturday at 2 p.m. in Haas Pavilion. Cal is coming off an 88-74 win at Oregon State and an 87-83 victory over 12th-ranked Arizona.
* In winning four of its past five games overall, Cal has moved into a tie for second place in the Pac-10 with Arizona at 6-4 in league action.
* Cal's two highest scoring outputs have come in its past two games - 88 points at Oregon State and 87 vs. Arizona. The Bears have scored at least 80 points just two other times this season - 80 vs. Wyoming Dec. 9 and 85 vs. Columbia Dec. 27.
* Senior C Amit Tamir has shot 11-for-18 from three-point range over his past two games - 6-for-10 at OSU and 5-for-8 vs. Arizona - and is averaging 20.5 ppg over that span.
* Freshman F Leon Powe, voted Pac-10 Player of the Week for his performance against USC and UCLA Jan. 22-24, continues to lead the league in double-doubles (10) and rebounding at 9.9 rpg - the highest rate for a Golden Bear freshman ever (previous: 8.6 rpg by Bob McKeen in 1951-52). No Cal player has paced the conference for an entire year since Mark McNamara in 1981-82.
* Freshman F Marquise Kately is shooting 55.4 percent from the floor - fourth in the Pac-10 and the best rate for a non-center at Cal since Tony Gonzalez in 1995 (64.0%).
* Cal's win over Arizona snapped a 10-game losing streak to the Wildcats and a seven-game string to ranked opponents.
* The Bears' committed just seven turnovers in the win over Arizona - their lowest total since they had six in a 72-59 victory over Stanford on Jan. 4, 2003.
* Head coach Ben Braun picked up with 150th win at Cal Thursday night. Now in his eighth season, Braun ranks second to Nibs Price (449-294, 1924-54) in coaching victories at Cal.