No. 6 Stanford Defeats No. 42 Arizona, 5-2
Feb. 27, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - The Stanford university men's tennis team defeated the visiting University of Arizona Wildcats, 5-2 Friday afternoon at Taube Tennis Center on the Stanford University campus. With the win, the No. 6 ranked Cardinal improve to 7-2 on the season, while the No. 42 ranked Wildcats fall to 6-4.
The Cardinal swept the doubles matches to collect the doubles point. Junior Sam Warburg and sophomore KC Corkery teamed up at No. 1 doubles to defeat Arizona's Colin O'Grady and Roger Matalonga. At No. 2 doubles, Stanford sophomore James Pade and freshman James Wan teamed up to defeated Paul Warkentin and Daniel Andrus, while senior Carter Morris and junior Phil Sheng outlasted Arizona's Whi Kim and Tim Mullane.
Stanford continued its winning ways once singles play began as the Cardinal won four of the six singles matches. Warburg, ranked No. 31 in the latest ITA rankings, defeated Kim 6-4, 6-1 in No. 1 singles action, while Corkery downed Tom Lloyd in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot. Wan rallied to defeat Andrus in three games, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 5 singles spot, while Morris cruised to a 6-3, 6-0 win over Warkentin at the No. 6 position.
Stanford is back in action on Feb. 28th when the Cardinal play host to No. 23 Arizona State at the Taube Tennis Center at 12:30 pm (PT).
Stanford - 5
Arizona - 2
Doubles (Stanford Wins Point)
1. KC Corkery/S. Warburg (S) def. C. O'Grady/R. Matalonga, 8-3
2. J. Pade/J. Wan (S) def. P. Warkentin/D. Andrus, 8-3
3. C. Morris/P. Sheng (S) def. W. Kim/T. Mullane, 9-8
1. S. Warburg (S) def. W. Kim, 6-4, 6-1
2. KC Corkery (S) def. T. Lloyd, 6-3, 6-4
3. R. Matalonga (A) def. J. Pade, 1-6, 2-6
4. C. O'Grady (A) def. P. Sheng, 2-6, 2-6
5. J. Wan (S) def. D. Andrus, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. C. Morris (S) def. P. Warkentin, 6-3, 6-0