No. 1 Cardinal Remain Perfect With 6-1 Victory Over No. 31 Arizona
March 6, 2004
TUCSON, Ariz - Top ranked Stanford capped off their Arizona road trip today by defeating the Wildcats 6-1 at the Lanelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. With the win, Stanford's season record now stands at 13-0.
Today's match-up with the Wildcats was Stanford's third contest in four days. The team got off to a strong start and swept doubles play, as the dynamic duos of Barnikow and Burdette, Barnes and Liu, and Anderson and Yelsey all posted wins.
In singles action, Amber Liu, Alice Barnes, Lauren Barnikow, Theresa Logar, and Anne Yelsey all cruised to straight-set wins. Emilia Anderson, who had come from behind twice this week to win lengthy three-set matches, retired in the second set of today's event.
Stanford will next play host to Santa Clara on Tuesday, March 23, at Taube Tennis Center at 2:30 p.m.
Stanford 6, Arizona 1
1. Amber Liu (STAN) def. Maja Mlakar (UA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Dianne Hollands (UA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Debbie Larocque (UA) 6-3, 6-1
4. Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-0, 6-4
5. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Emilia Anderson (STAN), 3-6, 4-1 (ret.)
6. Anne Yelsey (STAN) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-0, 6-2
1. Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Hollands/Mlakar (UA) 8-5
2. Barnes/Liu (STAN) def. Larocque/Perry (UA) 8-5
3. Anderson/Yelsey (STAN) def. Rochefort/Ferreira (UA) 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive