No. 22 Men's Tennis Blanked By UCLA, 7-0
March 13, 2004
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 22 Arizona State men's tennis team was shut out, 7-0, by No. 8 UCLA Saturday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the loss, the Sun Devils fall to 4-7 overall and 0-2 in the Pac-10, while the Bruins improve to 11-5 and 1-0 in conference play.
In doubles action, the Sun Devils surrendered the first point of the day, as the Bruins defeated ASU in all three doubles matches. Playing at the No. 1 doubles spot, the duo of Chris Stewart (Sr., Adelaide, Australia) and Andy Colombo (Jr., Rochester, N.Y.) took the loss, 8-4, against the No. 19 team from UCLA of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta. The No. 2 doubles pair of Jonathan Kinsella (So., Astley, England) and Clinton Letcher (Jr., Melbourne, Australia) fell to the Bruins' Tobias Clemens and Chris Lam, 8-2, while ASU's No. 3 tandem of Daniel Davies (So., Sydney, Australia) and Ryan McBride (So., Tempe, Ariz.) took an 8-3 loss to Philipp Gruendler and Chris Surapol.
In singles play, the Sun Devils surrendered all six matches on the day. At the No. 1 spot, 93rd-ranked Stewart succumbed to Clemens, the No. 6 ranked player in the country, 6-3, 6-2. Colombo was defeated, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 2 spot by No. 52 Lam, while the No. 3 match saw Letcher fall 6-4, 7-5, to No. 36 Kwinta.
The Sun Devils didn't fare much better at spots 4, 5, or 6, with Kinsella falling to No. 95 Francis, 6-1, 6-2, Christopher Biro (Fr., Adelaide, Australia) losing to No. 86 Gruendler, 6-2, 6-0, and Davies coming up short in his match with Surapol, 6-1, 6-0.
Next on the schedule for the Sun Devils is a home dual with Clemson on Friday, March 19. Time of the match is not yet decided.
No. 8 UCLA 7, No. 22 ASU 0
1. #19 Francis/Kwinta (UCLA def. Stewart/Colombo (ASU) 8-4
2. Tobias/Lam def. Kinsella/Letcher (ASU) 8-2
3. Gruendler/Surapol def. Davies/Ryan McBride (ASU) 8-3
1. #6 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. #93 Chris Stewart (ASU) 6-3, 6-0
2. #52 Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #36 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #86 Phillipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Daniel Davies (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive