Top-ranked Cardinal Blank No. 11 Golden Bears 7-0
March 31, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - No. 1 Stanford completed the regular season sweep of No. 11 California at the Taube Tennis Center on Wednesday, beating the Golden Bears 7-0. With the win, Stanford's record against the Pac-10 climbs to 4-0, and the team's overall record is now a perfect 17-0.
The Cardinal were in command during doubles competition. At the No. 3 spot, the duo of Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey were first off the court with an 8-2 win over Kops-Jones and Wiesener. The nation's No. 1 tandem of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette tallied an 8-4 win over No. 42 Havlicek and Scheldt to clinch the doubles point. Stanford's Alice Barnes and Amber Liu downed Jacobs and Lynch 8-3.
In singles play, No. 33 Liu avenged her early season loss to Raquel Kops-Jones by defeating the nation's top-ranked player 6-1, 6-1. No. 15 Barnes and No. 67 Anderson both posted 6-2, 6-2 victories over their opponents. No. 24 Theresa Logar and No. 19 Burdette each overcame first set losses and rallied to win their match-ups. Burdette edged out No. 26 Sasha Podkolzina of Cal 6-7, 7-5, 1-0. Logar dropped her first set to Nicole Havlicek 4-6, but stormed back to win the match 6-0, 1-0. No. 36 Barnikow closed out the match by holding off Catherine Lynch 6-3, 5-7, 1-0.
The Cardinal next play host to No. 8 USC on Friday, April 2, at 1:30 p.m. and No. 9 UCLA at Noon on Saturday, April 3, at Taube Tennis Center.
Stanford 7, California 0
1. Amber Liu (STAN) def. Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL) 6-1, 6-1
2. Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Jieun Jacobs (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
3. Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Sasha Podkolzina (CAL) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0
4. Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Catherine Lynch (CAL) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0
5. Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Nicole Havlicek (CAL) 4-6, 6-0, 1-0
6. Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. Jody Scheldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Barnikow/Burdette (STAN) def. Havlicek/Scheldt (CAL) 8-4
2. Barnes /Liu (STAN) def. Jacobs/Lynch (CAL) 8-3
3. Anderson/Yelsey (STAN) def. Kops-Jones/Wiesener (CAL) 8-2