No. 9 Stanford Falls to No. 5 UCLA, 5-2
April 3, 2004
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - No. 9 Stanford fell to No. 5 UCLA, 5-2, on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Cardinal drop to 12-5 with the loss, while the Bruins improve to 14-5 overall.
UCLA began the day by sweeping all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. Senior KC Corkery and junior Sam Warburg fell to UCLA's team of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 9-7, at the No. 1 doubles spot. The tandem of sophomore James Pade and freshman James Wan fell to Philipp Gruendler and Luben Pampoulou, 8-3, at the No. 2 slot. UCLA's Tobias Clemens and Chris Surapel finished off the doubles sweep by handing junior Phil Sheng and senior Carter Morris an 8-5 defeat.
Stanford quickly answered back in singles competition, as the No. 23 ranked Warburg upset No. 5 ranked Clemens, 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 1 singles position. Wan collected the other victory for the Cardinal, defeating Kwinta, 6-1, 2-6-6-1 at the No. 4 singles spot.
Corkery fell to Pampoulou at the No. 2 spot, 6-1, 7-6, while freshman Chris Rasmussen dropped a 6-2, 6-2 decision to Greundler at the No. 6 slot. Morris and Sheng both brought their matches to three sets before falling. Morris was defeated by Francis, 6-5, 5-7, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot and Sheng lost to Chris Lam at the No. 3 slot, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1.
The Cardinal return to action on April 6, when they travel to take on rival Cal in Berkeley at 3:00 pm.
Doubles (UCLA Wins Point)
1. (20) Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Corkery/Warburg (Stan) 9-7
2. Gruendler/Pampoulov (UCLA) def. James Pade/Wan (Stan) 8-3
3. Clemens/Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Morris/Sheng (Stan) 8-5
1. Sam Warburg (Stan) def. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) def. KC Corkery (Stan) 6-1, 7-6(5)
3. Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Phil Sheng (Stan) 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. James Wan (Stan) def. Kris Kwinta (UCLA) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
5. Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Carter Morris (Stan) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Chris Rasmussen (Stan) 6-2, 6-2