No. 21 Arizona Men's Tennis Falls to No. 19 Washington, 6-1
April 4, 2004
SEATTLE, Wash. - The No. 21 Arizona men's tennis had its four-match winning streak snapped Sunday, April 4, falling to the No. 19 Washington Huskies, 6-1. Arizona only managed to win one doubles match, as well as winning only one singles match. Arizona falls to 12-7 overall and 1-3 in the Pac-10 after the loss, while Washington improves to 13-7 overall and 3-1 in the Pac-10.
In doubles competition, Arizona earned its only victory on court one. Junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga defeated Daniel Chu and Alex Vlaski, 8-5. On court two, Senior Whi Kim and Daniel Andrus fell to Alex Slovic and Nick Weiss, 8-5. In the No. 3 position, junior Paul Warkentin and sophomore Tim Mullane were up-ended by Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler, 8-2.
In singles, Washington continued its dominating performances over Arizona, winning on courts one through five. Arizona's lone point of the afternoon came as Warkentin defeated Chris Floyd on court six, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2.
No. 64 Matalonga faced off against six-ranked All-American Alex Vlaski on court one. After losing the first set, Matalonga battled back to tie the match at one set apiece, but Vlaski proved too strong, winning, 6-4, 1-6, 6-1. Kim fell to No. 43 Alex Slovic, 6-3, 7-6 (2), on court two. O'Grady's bid for 20 wins this season was put on hold for one match as he fell to Daniel Chu, 6-4, 6-4, on court three. Senior Tom Lloyd fell to Christoph Palmanshofer, 6-3, 6-4, on court four. Andrus lost to Peter Scharler in a close match on court five, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (7).
The Wildcats will hit the courts again Friday, April 9, when they host California at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. First serve is set for 1:30 p.m.
1. Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Chu/Vlaski (UW), 8-5
2. Slovic/Weiss (UW) def. Kim/Andrus (UA), 8-5
3. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW) def. Warkentin/Mullane (UA), 8-2
1. (6) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. (64) Roger Matalonga (UA), 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
2. (43) Alex Slovic (UW) def. Whi Kim (UA), 6-3, 7-6 (2)
3. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Colin O'Grady (UA), 6-4, 6-4
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Tom Lloyd (UA), 6-3, 6-4
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Daniel Andrus (UA), 3-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (7)
6. Paul Warkentin (UA) def. Chris Floyd (UW), 6-1, 6-7, 6-2