Men's Tennis Falls To No. 10 Stanford, 7-0
April 9, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team was upended in Pac-10 action by the No. 10 Stanford Cardinals this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center, 7-0. The Sun Devils fall to 7-11 overall and 0-5 in Pac-10 play, while the Cardinals improve to 13-6 on the season.
In doubles action, the Sun Devils took the early lead when the No. 1 duo of Chris Stewart (Sr., Adelaide, Australia) and Jonathan Kinsella (So., Astley, England) upset the No. 34 Stanford team of Carter Morris and Sam Warburg, 8-5. They were unable to hold off the Cardinals at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, as Stanford won both matches to earn the first point on the afternoon. The No. 3 pair of KC Corkery and Phil Sheng overcame the team of Clinton Letcher (Jr., Melbourne, Australia) and Daniel Davies (So., Sydney, Australia), 8-5. At No. 2 doubles, the Cardinals team of James Wan and James Pade took the early lead and battled off the surging Sun Devils duo of Andy Colombo (Jr., Rochester, N.Y.) and Christopher Biro (Fr., Adelaide, Australia) winning the match, 8-5.
The Sun Devils were unable to recover in singles play as they dropped all six singles matches. At No. 1 singles Stewart was upended by Warburg, 6-4, 6-2, while Nick Hegarty (Fr., Saint Joseph, Miso.) fell to Pade, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 5 singles. Clinching the match for the Cardinals was Corkery at No. 3 singles as he overcame Biro, 6-4, 6-3. Davies, playing at No. 6 singles, was unable to battle back as he fell to Chris Rasmussen, 6-3, 6-4, while at No. 3 singles Wan defeated ASU's Kinsella, 7-6(4), 6-3. Finishing off the day for the Cardinals, Sheng had to battle off a relentless Ryan McBride (So., Tempe, Ariz.) to round out the sweep, 6-4, 6-7(2), 1-0(7).
The Sun Devils return to action tomorrow afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center as they host the No. 29 California Bears at 1:00 p.m.
No. 10 Stanford 7, No. 47 ASU 0
1. Sam Warburg (Stan) def. Chris Stewart (ASU), 6-4, 6-2
2. KC Corkery (Stan) def. Christopher Biro (ASU), 6-4, 6-3
3. James Wan (Stan) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Paul Zheng (Stan) def. Ryan McBride (ASU), 6-4, 6-7(2), 1-0(7)
5. James Pade (Stan) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Chris Rasmussen (Stan) def. Daniel Davies, 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: #1, #5, #2**, #6, #3, #4
1. Stewart/Kinsella (ASU) def. Morris/Warburg (Stan), 8-5
2. Corkery/Sheng(Stan) def. Colombo/Biro(ASU), 8-6
3. Wan/Pade (Stan) def. Clinton Letcher/Davies, 8-6
Order of Finish: #1, #3, #2