Women's Tennis Beats Washington State, 6-1
April 9, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The eighth-ranked USC women's tennis team remained undefeated in Pac-10 play (4-0) thanks to a 6-1 victory over 61st-ranked Washington State on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 14-5 overall, while the Cougars fall to 5-13 overall and 1-5 in conference play.
The Trojans nearly completed a match sweep until a late surge by the Cougars in singles sent two matches to a third set with Washington State eventually capturing a win at No. 4.
USC won all three doubles matches to earn the first point of the afternoon. The duos of Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen, and Anca Anastasiu and Dianne Matias both eased to 8-2 wins at the No. 1 and 2 spots to clinch the 1-0 advantage.
In singles play, Vermeulen was the first off the court as she swept Orsolya Sallai, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2. Bernadette Bayani, playing on the far court, earned a convincing victory over the Cougars' Nelly Dvornicka, 6-1, 6-2, and Judy DeVera secured the Trojan victory with a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Amy Toth at court five.
WSU's Lorena Arias and Chris Martinez each pushed their opponents into a third-set tiebreaker, with Martinez eventually beating USC's Matias, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8, for the Cougars only point of the match.
The Women of Troy return to the court on Saturday, April 10, when they host sixth-ranked Washington at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#8 USC 6, #61 Washington State, 6-1
(1) #16 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) def. Martinez/Sallai (WSU) - 8-2
(2) Anastasiu/Matias (USC) def. Arias/Fodor (WSU) - 8-2
(3) DeVera/Bayani (USC) def. Toth/Gaal (WSU) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #15 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Lorena Arias (WSU) - 5-7, 6-3, 10-8
(2) #54 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Orsolya Sallai (WSU) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) #95 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Nora Gaal (WSU) - 7-5, 6-1
(4) Chris Martinez (WSU) def. Dianne Matias (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
(5) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Amy Toth (WSU) - 6-2, 6-1*
(6) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Nelly Dvornicka (WSU) - 6-1, 6-2
* match clinching point
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 3, 1, 4