Trojans Extend Streak With 5-2 Win At Oregon
April 10, 2004
LOS ANGELES -- For the second-straight day, the third-ranked USC men's tennis team (18-2, 5-0 Pac-10) capitalized on its strength at the bottom of the lineup to defeat No. 46 Oregon, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at the 15th Avenue Courts in Eugene, Ore. The Trojans, who have won their last 10 matches, remain undefeated in the Pac-10 and will compete for the 2004 conference title when they travel to California and Stanford next week for the final matches regular season.
With the loss, the Ducks fall to 9-9 overall and 1-5 in the Pac-10.
'We were a little beat up today but we fought through it and finished off a great trip,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'Parker and Johan gave us a big lift this afternoon in doubles. We really wanted that point and it set the tone for the rest of the match.'
Parker Collins and Johan Berg helped USC garner the first point of the afternoon by defeating Oregon's Markus Schiller and Manuel Kost, 8-6, at No. 2. The win clinched the doubles point after the Trojans won at No. 3, but surrendered a loss at No. 1.
The Trojans gave up wins at the No. 1 and 2 singles positions, but it did not matter as the team rolled to victory with solid wins at the remaining four spots. Jamil Al-Agba, Daniel Langre and Drew Hoskins gave up a mere seven points in all three matches combined as they notched straight-set victories at Nos. 3, 4 and 6. Their wins gave USC the match-clinching four points as Ruben Torres topped off the afternoon by also defeating the Ducks' Arron Spencer in straight sets, 7-6, 6-0, at court five.
USC travels to the Bay Area next week to face California and Stanford on Friday and Saturday, April 16 and 17.
#3 USC 5, #46 Oregon 2
(1) Swinnen/Spencer (Oregon) def. #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) - 8-5
(2) Berg/ Parker Collins (USC) def. Schiller/Kost (Oregon) - 8-6
(3) Biasella/Torres (USC) def. King/Bieri (Oregon) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #35 Sven Swinnen (Oregon) def. #23 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-4, 7-5
(2) #88 Manuel Kost (Oregon) def. #73 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #83 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Thomas Bieri (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-0
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Markus Schiller (Oregon) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) #95 Ruben Torres (USC) def. Arron Spencer (Oregon) - 7-6, 6-0
(6) #94 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Chris King (Oregon) - 6-0, 6-2