Women's Tennis Falls to No.11 California
April 10, 2004
Berkeley, AZ- The Arizona State University Women's Tennis Team suffered another loss Friday afternoon in a 6-1 decision to the No. 11 Cal Bears.
The Cal Bears came into the match with three ranked players to ASU's one and two high ranked singles duo.
The Devils however were soundly overpowered by the Bears as they were swept in doubles and were only able to take one singles match from Cal.
The high point of the day for the Devils came with freshman Rebecca Rankin's return to the singles line-up as she took a 6-1, 6-3 win from Cal's Jessica Shu.
The Devils fall to 6-12 and 1-5 in the Pac-10 with a match versus the No.1 Stanford Cardinal (19-0, 4-0 Pac-10) looming in front of them Saturday afternoon at Stanford.
Results for Arizona State versus No. 11 California
1. #4 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) d. Joslynn Burkett (ASU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Catherine Lynch (Cal) d. Wendy Pilecka (ASU), 6-3, 2-6 (10-0)
3. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) d. Cindy Sureephong (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
4. #31 Sasha Podkolzina (Cal) d. Sabrina Capannolo (ASU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jody Scheldt (Cal) d. Kady Pooler (ASU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Rebecca Rankin (ASU) d. Jessica Shu (Cal), 6-1, 6-3
1. #14 Kops-Jones/Jacobs (Cal) d. Colalillo/Pooler (ASU), 8-5
2. #40 Havlicek/Scheldt (Cal) d. #55 Sureephong/Pilecka (ASU), 8-4
3. Lynch/Shu (Cal) d. Rankin/Burkett (ASU), 8-4
Final Score: ASU:1 Cal:6