No. 11 Stanford Downs No. 25 Pepperdine, 5-2
April 13, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 11 ranked Stanford University men's tennis team collected a 5-2 win over the No. 25 ranked Pepperdine Waves, Tuesday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. With the win, the Cardinal improve to 15-6 on the season, while the Waves fall to 15-8.
The Cardinal started the day by capturing two of the doubles matches to secure the doubles point. The tandem of senior Carter Morris and junior Sam Warburg defeated Pepperdine's No. 22 ranked Pedro Rico and Calle Hansen at the No. 1 doubles position. Sophomore James Pade and freshman James Wan teamed up at the No. 3 doubles position to defeat the Waves' Kevin Borzenski and Justin Montgomery to seal the doubles point.
The Cardinal continued their winning ways during singles play, collecting wins in four of the six singles matches. Warburg defeated No. 45 ranked Hansen, 6-2, 7-6 at the No. 1 singles position, while sophomore All-American KC Corkery collected a 6-4, 3-6, 4-1 (ret. Inj.) win over No. 22 ranked Rico. Also picking up wins for the Cardinal were Wan and Pade. Wan eased by Alexandre Herrera, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot, while Pade defeated Richard Johnson, 6-2, 7-6.
The Cardinal return to action this weekend when they host UCLA and USC in a big weekend that could determine who will be the Pac-10 Champion. The Cardinal face the Bruins at 1:30 pm on Friday and the Trojans at 1:00 pm on Saturday.
Stanford - 5
Pepperdine - 2
Doubles (Stanford Wins Point)
1. #34 Carter Morris/Sam Warburg (S) def. #22 Pedro Rico/Calle Hansen, 9-8
2. #42 Scott Doerner/Alex Herrera (P) def. Phil Sheng/KC Corkery, 9-8
3. James Pade/James Wan (S) def Kevin Borzenski/Justin Montgomery, 8-3
1. #11 Sam Warburg (S) def. #45 Calle Hansen, 6-2,7-6
2. #110 KC Corkery (S) def. #22 Pedro Rico, 6-4,3-6,4-1 ret inj
3. #85 James Wan (S) def. Alexandre Herrera, 6-1,6-1
4. Scott Doerner (P) def. Phil Sheng, 6-4,6-3
5. James Pade (S) def. Richard Johnson, 6-2,7-6
6. Alexis Rafidison (P) def. Carter Morris, 6-4,6-1