No. 34 Men's Tennis Defeats Northern Arizona, 7-0
April 15, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 34 Arizona State men's tennis team won their second consecutive dual on Wednesday afternoon in convincing fashion, as they defeated the Lumberjacks of Northern Arizona University,7-0. With the win the Sun Devils improve to 9-11 overall while the Lumberjacks fall to 9-12 on the season.
In doubles action, the Sun Devils jumped out to the early lead as they overcame the Lumberjacks in all three doubles matches to earn the first point of the day. First off the court for ASU was the No. 2 duo of Andy Colombo (Jr., Rochester, N.Y.) and Christopher Biro (Fr., Adelaide, Australia) as they topped the NAU pair of Brian Grooms and James Heck, 8-1. Following suit for the Sun Devils was the No. 3 team of Clinton Letcher (Jr., Melbourne, Australia) and Daniel Davies (So., Sydney, Australia) as they upended the Lumberjacks' Ronson Taylor and Jamie Maxwell, 8-1. The No. 1 tandem of Chris Stewart (Sr., Adelaide, Australia) and Jonathan Kinsella (So., Astley, England) completed the doubles sweep for ASU as they took down the pair of Thibault Schram and Lew DeLeon, 8-6.
ASU kept that momentum throughout singles play, as they won all six matches to claim the victory over NAU. Letcher, playing at No. 2 singles for ASU, defeated Maxwell of NAU, 7-5, 6-1, while Davies overcame Heck at No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-0. Nick Hegarty (Fr., Saint Joseph, Mo.) claimed victory over Taylor at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 7-5, for the Sun Devils as Ryan McBride (So., Tempe, Ariz.) upended Grooms in a straight set, 7-5, 6-0, match. At No. 3 singles, Kinsella took down DeLeon of NAU, 7-5, 6-2, and rounding out the day for the Sun Devils was Biro as he overcame Schram, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 1 singles.
The Sun Devils return to the courts on Saturday, April 17 at 1:00 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center for their last regular season and Pac-10 dual of the season.
ASU 7, NAU 0
1. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Thibault Schram (NAU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Clint Letcher (ASU) def. Jamie Maxwell (NAU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. Lew DeLeon (NAU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Ronson Taylor (NAU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Brian Grooms (NAU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Daniel Davies (ASU) def. James Heck (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Kinsella/Stewart (ASU) def. Schram/DeLeon (NAU) 8-6
2. Biro/Colombo (ASU) def. Taylor/Maxwell (NAU) 8-1
3. Davies/Letcher (ASU) def. Grooms/Heck (NAU) 8-1