No. 11 Stanford Edged By No. 4 UCLA, 4-3
April 16, 2004
Stanford, Calif. - No. 11 Stanford dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 4 UCLA on Friday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal drop to 15-7 on the season, while the Bruins improve to 17-5 overall.
The Cardinal won two of the three doubles contests to capture the doubles point. Junior Sam Warburg and senior Carter Morris defeated the UCLA tandem of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 8-5, at the No. 1 doubles position. The team of Luben Pampoulov and Philipp Gruendler pulled the Bruins even with an 8-5 victory over sophomore KC Corkery and junior Phil Sheng at the No. 2 doubles slot. Freshman James Wan and sophomore James Pade sealed the doubles point for the Cardinal with a hard-fought 9-7 win over UCLA's Tobias Clemens and Chris Surapol at the No. 3 doubles position.
In singles competition, Stanford's Warburg and Corkery registered straight set wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively. Warburg defeated Clemens 6-2, 6-4 and Corkery earned a 7-6, 6-3 win over Pampoulov. The Bruins reeled off wins in the 3-through-6 six positions to claim the victory. Wan suffered his first defeat in a dual match this season, falling to Chris Lam in three sets, 6-2, 2-6, 2-6 at the No. 3 spot. Sheng was also defeated in three sets, falling to Kwinta at the No. 5 spot, 4-6, 7-5, 3-6. At the No. 4 position, Pade was defeated by Francis, 4-6, 3-6, and Chris Rasmussen fell to Gruendler at the No. 6 spot, 1-6, 2-6.
Stanford will close out the regular season against USC tomorrow at the Taube Tennis Center in a match scheduled for 1:00 pm.
Doubles- Stanford wins point
1. Warburg/Morris (Stan) def Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) 8-5
2. Pampoulov/Gruendler (UCLA) def Corkery/Sheng (Stan) 8-5
3. Pade/Wan (Stan) def Clemens/Surapol (UCLA) 9-7
1. Warburg (Stan) def Clemens (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Corkery (Stan) def Pampoulov (UCLA) 7-6, 6-3
3. Lam (UCLA) def Wan (Stan) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Francis (UCLA) def Pade (Stan) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kwinta (UCLA) def Sheng (Stan) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
6. Gruendler (UCLA) def Rasmussen (Stan) 6-1, 6-2