Trojans Beat Cal And Ensure Share Of Pac-10 Title
April 16, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The third-ranked USC men's tennis team ensured at least a share of the 2004 Pac-10 Championship this afternoon by defeating No. 28 California, 5-2, marking the Trojans' first conference title in 10 years (the last was in 1994). If USC (19-2, 6-0 Pac-10) defeats Stanford on Saturday, it will clinch sole possession of the conference championship.
'This is obviously a terrific win and a great accomplishment for our team,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It will be an incredible challenge for us to go up against Stanford on Dick Gould's (Cardinal coach to retire at end of season) final home match.'
Despite mixing up the lineups, the Trojans fared well against the Golden Bears (7-15, 2-4 Pac-10) and nearly swept all three doubles matches to start the afternoon. USC won at courts two and three by 8-2 and 8-3 scores, while unranked Johan Berg and Adriano Biasella pushed 21st-ranked Patrick Briaud and Balazs Veress to a breaker before falling 9-8 at center court.
The Trojans, playing without Berg in the singles lineup, had little difficulty on four of six courts. Senior Parker Collins entered the lineup at No. 6 and defeated Andreas Peterson, 6-1, 7-6, for his first Pac-10 victory of the year. Jamil Al-Agba also collected a notable win at No. 2, upsetting No. 57 Veress, 6-4, 6-4. Daniel Langre and Drew Hoskins accounted for USC's remaining two points with wins at courts three and five.
The Trojans will face the Cardinal tomorrow (April 17) at 1 p.m. in Stanford.
#3 USC 5, #28 California 2
(1) #21 Briaud/Veress (Cal) def. Berg/Biasella (USC) - 9-8
(2) #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Browne/Wong (Cal) - 8-2
(3) Parker Collins /Torres (USC) def. Minato/Peterson (Cal) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #118 Wayne Wong (Cal) def. #23 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
(2) #83 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #57 Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Tyler Browne (Cal) - 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
(4) Patrick Briaud (Cal) def. #95 Ruben Torres (USC) - 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
(5) #94 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Kuni Minato (Cal) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Andreas Peterson (Cal) - 6-1, 7-6