No. 1 Stanford Takes Pac-10 Title
April 17, 2004
LOS ANGELES - After a near two-hour rain delay, top-ranked and undefeated Stanford beat USC 7-0 to clinch its 17th-straight Pac-10 Championship at Marks Tennis Stadium on Saturday. The Cardinal improved to 23-0 overall and 8-0 in conference play with the win before heading into postseason.
Stanford swept at all nine courts for the 7-0 victory. The No. 1 duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette downed Bruins Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen 8-5. The Cardinal pairs of Amber Liu and Alice Barnes, and Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey also notched victories.
Senior Barnikow and freshman Theresa Logar remain undefeated in singles dual action this season after tallying straight-set wins over Southern California at the No. 4 and No. 5 spots, respectively. Burdette's match was the only dual to be pushed into a third set, but Burdette eventually captured the win 6-1, 0-6, 6-4 at the No. 3 position.
The Cardinal will compete at the Pac-10 Individual Tournament and Invitational this week, April 22-25, in Ojai, Calif. NCAA Tournament selections will be announced on Wednesday, May 5, on ESPN News.
No. 1 Stanford 7, No. 7 USC 0
(1) #1 Barnikow/Burdette (Stan) def. #16 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) 8-5
(2) #50 Barnes/Liu (Stan) def. Anastasiu/Matias (USC) 8-4
(3) Anderson/Anne Yelsey (Stan) def. Esmero/Bayani (USC) 8-6
Stanford wins doubles point
(1) #10 Amber Liu (Stan) def. #15 Luana Magnani (USC) 6-0, 6-2
(2) #13 Alice Barnes (Stan) def. #54 Carine Vermeulen (USC) 6-1, 6-1
(3) #22 Erin Burdette (Stan) def. #95 Anca Anastasiu (USC) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
(4) #43 Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. Dianne Matias (USC) 6-0, 6-4
(5) #35 Theresa Logar (Stan) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) 6-3, 6-2
(6) #75 Emilia Anderson (Stan) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) 7-5, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive