No. 23 Men's Tennis Drops ASU, 5-2
April 17, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 23rd-ranked Arizona men's tennis team downed in-state rival No. 34 Arizona State on Saturday at the Whitman Tennis Center in Tempe, 5-2. The Wildcats' record improved to 14-8 overall and 3-4 in the Pac-10, while the Sun Devils fell to 9-12 overall and 1-5 in conference play.
The Sun Devils took an early lead, scoring the doubles point with an 8-1 win by Clinton Letcher and Daniel Davies over the Wildcats' Paul Warkentin and Daniel Andrus, and an 8-4 victory over Arizona's duo of Colin O'Grady and Roger Matalonga by ASU's Chris Stewart and Jonathan Kinsella. Arizona's Whi Kim and Timothy Mullane won in the No. 3 spot over Christopher Biro and Ryan McBride, 8-3.
The Wildcats took over singles action, winning five of six. Matalonga defeated Stewart in the top spot, 6-4, 6-4, and Kim downed Biro in the second position by the same score. O'Grady notched a win over Letcher, 6-4, 6-4, and Andrus beat ASU's Kinsella in the fourth spot, 6-4, 6-4. The Sun Devils' No. 5 player, Nick Hegarty, fell to Warkentin, 7-5, 6-4, and Mullane suffered the only singles loss of the match to McBride, 6-1, 6-4.
The Wildcats wrapped up conference play with the victory over ASU, and next will head to the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., on April 22.
No. 23 Arizona 5, No. 34 ASU 2
1.Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Chris Stewart (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
2.Whi Kim (UA) def. Christopher Biro (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Paul Warkentin (UA) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Tim Mullane (UA), 6-1, 6-4
1. Stewart/Kinsella (ASU) def. O'Grady/Matalonga (UA), 8-4
2. Letcher/Daniel Davies (ASU) def. Warkentin/Andrus (UA), 8-1
3. Kim/ Mullane (UA) def. Biro/McBride, 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive