Tennis Falls At Stanford, 5-2, But Shares 2004 Pac-10 Title
April 17, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - USC's bid to finish the conference season undefeated was spoiled as the 11th-ranked Stanford men's tennis team (16-7, 5-2 Pac-10) upset the third-ranked Trojans, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. Despite the loss, USC (19-3, 6-1 Pac-10) completes the regular season as Pac-10 Co-Champions, splitting the title with UCLA.
Stanford, celebrating the final home match for longtime coach Dick Gould, won five of six singles matches to accomplish the upset after dropping the doubles point.
'Stanford played a great match in a very exciting atmosphere,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'I'm disappointed that we were unable to complete it today, but happy that we captured a share of the Pac-10 title.'
The Trojans enjoyed one of their best doubles performances of the season. Johan Berg and Adriano Biasella upset 34th-ranked Carter Morris and Sam Warburg for an 8-5 win at No. 1. After dropping the match at court three, USC's Drew Hoskins and Daniel Langre won a close contest at No. 2, 9-8, to clinch the first point of the afternoon.
The momentum then shifted as the teams entered singles competition. Stanford collected straight-set victories at Nos. 2, 3 and 6, then came from behind to win on courts one and five. Langre accounted for the Trojans' lone victory as he easily defeated James Pade, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 4 position.
The Trojans will compete at the Pac-10 Individual Tournament and Invitational this week, April 22-25, in Ojai, Calif. NCAA Tournament selections will be announced on Wednesday, May 5, on ESPN News, as USC hopes to host the first two rounds at Marks Tennis Stadium
#11 Stanford 5, #3 USC 2
(1) Berg/Biasella (USC) def. #34 Morris/Warburg (Stan) - 8-5
(2) #12 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Sheng/Corkery (Stan) - 9-8
(3) Pade/Wan (Stan) def. Torres/ Parker Collins (USC) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #11 Sam Warburg (Stan) def. #23 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
(2) #110 KC Corkery (Stan) def. #73 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(3) #85 James Wan (Stan) def. #83 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-3,6-1
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. James Pade (USC) - 6-1,6-2
(5) Phil Sheng (Stan) def. #94 Ruben Torres (USC) - 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
(6) Carter Morris (Stan) def. #95 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-4,6-3