No. 1 Stanford Competes in Pac-10 Individual Tournament
April 20, 2004
THIS WEEK'S ACTION
Pac-10 Individual Tennis Championships
April 22-25, 2004 * Ojai, Calif.
Ojai Valley Inn Tennis Center/Libbey Park
STANFORD SEASON UPDATE:
* - No. 1 Stanford claimed its 17th-straight Pacific-10 Conference title after tallying a perfect 8-0 league record ... The Cardinal remain the top team in the nation with an unblemished 23-0 overall record this season ... Stanford has been ranked No. 1 by the ITA for 10-straight weeks.
* - Stanford wrapped up the regular season with two wins in Los Angeles ... The Cardinal downed No. 6 UCLA 5-2 and No. 7 USC 7-0 last weekend ... The squad next travels to Ojai, Calif., to compete in the 2004 Pac-10 Individual Championships.
* - Stanford's last perfect season was in 2001, head coach Lele Forood's first year at the Cardinal helm ... Stanford has posted nine unblemished season's in its history.
* - The Cardinal have tallied 12 shutouts this year.
* - Two regulars in Stanford's lineup stand undefeated in dual singles action this season: senior Lauren Barnikow (23-0) and freshman Theresa Logar (22-0).
* - Stanford has won 177-of -181 matches over the past six seasons.
PAC-10 INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT:
* - The Cardinal will travel to Ojai, Calif., to compete in the 2004 Pac-10 Individual Tournament from April 22-25 ... Tournament draws and updated results can be viewed at www.ojaitourney.org.
* - Since the first tournament in 1987, Stanford has boasted nine singles champions (1988, '89, '90, '91, '94, '96, '97, '99, 2002).
* - Four Stanford athletes will be featured in singles action, while two duos will compete in doubles.
* - The singles bracket features junior Erin Burdette, senior Emilia Anderson, sophomore Alice Barnes and freshman Theresa Logar.
* - In the doubles bracket are Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette, and Theresa Logar and Story Tweedie-Yates.
* - Cardinal Story Tweedie-Yates, Jessica Leck, Joanna Kao and Anne Yelsey will see action in Pac-10 Invitational singles, while the duos of Kao and Leck, and Logar and Tweedie-Yates will compete in the Pac-10 Invitational doubles bracket.
* - The 32-player singles draw consists of three players from each of the nine conference schools, with five additional competitors selected by a committee of coaches, based op participant's records ... The 16-team doubles draw will consist of one doubles team from each school and seven additional teams selected by a committee of coaches, based on participant's records.
* - The duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette are ranked No. 1 in the nation in doubles by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association ... Amber Liu and Alice Barnes are ranked No. 58.
* - In the singles rankings, Amber Liu is No. 6, Alice Barnes is No. 12, Erin Burdette is No. 25, Theresa Logar is No. 39, Lauren Barnikow is No. 45, Story Tweedie-Yates is No. 72, Emilia Anderson is No. 72 and Anne Yelsey is No. 100.
* - Stanford leads the Pac-10 with seven players ranked in the ITA's Top-125.
THE FOROOD FILE:
* - Head women's tennis Lele Forood, the 2003 Wilson/ITA National Coach of the Year, entered her fourth year at Stanford after serving a three-season tenure that boasted two NCAA team titles and one runner-up finish, and an 82-3 overall record.
* - Last season, Forood led the Cardinal to a 25-2 record overall, a second-place finish at the NCAA Tournament and Stanford's 16th-straight Pac-10 title.
* - Forood became the first female head coach to win the 2001 NCAA team title ... The championship was the first for Forood, who was an assistant coach for five national title runs from 1989-1991 and in 1997 and 1999 ... She guided the Cardinal to a 30-0 mark in her first complete season at the helm, as well as the 2000 Pac-10 Championship and a final No. 1 ranking.
* - She was an assistant coach for 10 years before being promoted to associate head coach in March of 2000 ... In 1997, Forood's efforts in helping lead the Cardinal to the NCAA title were recognized as she was named the Division I National Assistant Coach of the Year by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.