Cardinal Remain in Action at Pac-10 Individual Tournament
April 22, 2004
OJAI, Calif. - Junior Erin Burdette and sophomore Alice Barnes advance to quarterfinal action at the 2004 Pac-10 Individual Tournament after wins in the first two rounds on Thursday. In the invitational draw, Story Tweedie-Yates, Joanna Kao and Anne Yelsey remain in contention after two rounds.
Burdette, ranked No. 25 by the ITA, downed Debbie Larocque of Arizona 7-6, 7-5 in the first round and went on to defeat UCLA's Laura Gordon 6-1, 6-2. Burdette will face California's Raquel Kops-Jones in the quarterfinals on Friday.
No. 12 Barnes took the win over Oregon's Dominika Dieskova in three sets (5-7, 6-1, 6-1) after downing Erin Hoe of Washington 6-1, 6-1 in the round of 32. Barnes takes on Daniela Bercek of UCLA in quarterfinal action.
After byes in the first round, Tweedie-Yates and Yelsey each notched victories in the second round and will be seen in the quarterfinals in the invitational draw on Friday. Kao also advanced in the invitational after consecutive wins over Arizona State's Rebecca Rankin and Melissa Esmero of USC.
Complete tournament results can be viewed at www.ojaitournament.org.
Pac-10 Individual Tournament-Main Draw
Round of 32
(25) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Debbie Larocque (ARIZ) 7-6, 7-5
(72) Emilia Anderson (STAN) def. (80) Carine Ver Meulen (USC) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
(12) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. (66) Erin Hoe (WASH) 6-1, 6-1
(39) Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Kelly Perry (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-2
Round of 16
(21) Dea Sumantri (WASH) def. (72) Emilia Anderson (STAN) 6-2, 6-1
(25) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA) 6-1, 6-2
(12) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. (69) Dominika Dieskova (OREG) 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
(10) Daria Panova (OREG) def. (39) Theresa Logar (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
Pac-10 Invitational Singles
Round of 32
(72) Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN)-bye
Jessica Shu (CAL) def. Jessica Leck (STAN) 6-0, 6-1
Joanna Kao (STAN) def. Rebecca Rankin (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
(100) Anne Yelsey (STAN)-bye