Stanford Opens 2004 NCAA Tournament Action
May 12, 2004
THIS WEEK'S ACTION
NCAA Championship First and Second Rounds
May 14-15 * Taube Tennis Center * Stanford, Calif.
STANFORD SEASON UPDATE:
* - Stanford will host the first and second rounds for the West Region of the 2004 NCAA Championship at Taube Tennis Center ... Denver (20-1) will face Michigan (16-6) in first-round action, while No. 2-seed Stanford (23-0) will take on Quinnipiac (16-4) on Friday, May 14.
* - No. 1 Stanford claimed its 17th-straight Pacific-10 Conference title after tallying a perfect 8-0 league record ... The Cardinal remain the top team in the nation with an unblemished 23-0 overall record ... Stanford has been ranked No. 1 by the ITA for 12-straight weeks.
* - Stanford's last perfect season was in 2001, head coach Lele Forood's first year at the Cardinal helm ... Stanford has posted nine unblemished season's in its history.
* - The Cardinal have tallied 14 shutouts this year.
* - Two regulars in Stanford's lineup stand undefeated in dual singles action this: senior Lauren Barnikow (23-0) and freshman Theresa Logar (22-0).
* - Stanford has won 164-of-170 matches over the past six seasons.
* - The Cardinal have claimed 12 all-time NCAA titles and 13 collegiate titles (1982 was the first year of the NCAA Tournament) ... Stanford last won the Tournament in 2002 ... Last season, the Cardinal took second place after falling to Florida 4-3.
* - The Cardinal boast an 80-11 (.879) all-time Tournament record.
* - Stanford has competed in post-season action for the past 30 years ... The Cardinal have earned a berth into the NCAA Tournament in every year of the Tournament's 23-year existence.
* - Stanford has advanced to the final match in 22 of its last 29 national championship appearances (17-of-22 NCAA appearances).
* - Head coach Lele Forood has led Stanford to two national titles and one runner-up finish during her three-year tenure with the Cardinal.
* - Stanford athletes have tallied 11 singles and four doubles NCAA titles ... As a freshman last season, Amber Liu claimed the NCAA singles titles.
* - The Cardinal won six-straight NCAA titles from 1986-91.
FIRST/SECOND ROUND TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE:
Friday, May 14
10 a.m. - First-Round Match #1 (Denver vs. Michigan)
2 p.m. - First-Round Match #2 (Stanford vs. Quinnipiac)
Saturday, May 15
3 p.m. - Second-Round Match (Winner Match #1 vs. Winner Match #2)
* - Head coach Lele Forood was named the Pacific-10 Conference Coach of the Year as voted on by the league's coaches.
* - The top-ranked duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette earned Pac-10 Doubles Team of the Year honors for the second-straight season.
* - First-Team All-Pac-10 honors went to sophomores Alice Barnes and Amber Liu.
* - Junior Erin Burdette earned Second-Team honors, while senior Lauren Barnikow and freshman Theresa Logar earned Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 honors.
PAC-10 INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT:
* - The duo of Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette claimed the Pac-10 Tournament doubles title ... The pair, competing together for the first time this season, tallied four wins on their way to the championship.
* - Barnes took second-place in the singles main draw after falling to No. 3 Kops-Jones in the championship match 6-3, 6-4.
* - Freshman Anne Yelsey took the singles title in the Pac-10 Tournament Invitational draw ... After a bye in the first round, Yelsey notched four consecutive wins on the way to the title.
* - The Cardinal pairing of Theresa Logar and Story Tweedie-Yates claimed the doubles invitational title.
* - The duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette are ranked No. 1 in the nation in doubles by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association ... Alice Barnes and Burdette are ranked No. 16, while Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey stand at No. 56.
* - In the singles rankings, Amber Liu is No. 7, Alice Barnes is No. 10, Erin Burdette is No. 23, Theresa Logar is No. 40, Lauren Barnikow is No. 56, Emilia Anderson is No. 60, Story Tweedie-Yates is No. 78 and Anne Yelsey is No. 92.
* - Stanford leads the Pac-10 with eight players ranked in the ITA's Top-125.