NCAA First Round Results
May 14, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The No. 41 Arizona women's tennis team upset 21st-ranked Indiana, 4-2, in the first round of the NCAA Championships on Friday morning at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Wildcats improve to 7-12 this season and advance to the second round to face the winner of this afternoon's USC-American match. The Hoosiers complete their season at 18-7.
It was a battle from the start for these two evenly paired teams. In a match that lasted nearly four hours, Arizona managed to climbed back from a 1-0 deficit after dropping the doubles point.
Indiana claimed doubles victories on courts two and three, both by 8-4 scores, for the first point of the afternoon.
Arizona began to turn the tables in singles play, winning the first set on five of six courts. The Wildcats' 11th-ranked Dianne Hollands evened the match score with a 6-0, 6-1 win over No. 52 Dora Vastag at center court, and teammate Maja Mlakar gave Arizona a 2-1 lead with a 6-0, 6-2 win at court two over Linda Tran. The Hoosiers managed to briefly knot the score when Cecile Perton beat Iza Ferreira at the No. 6 spot, 6-3, 6-1, but soon after Arizona reclaimed the advantage thanks to Jessie Rochefort's victory at court five.
Despite Arizona's 3-2 lead, the match was far from over as the two remaining matches entered a third set. Eventually, Debbie Larocque's dominating performance in the third set gave Arizona its match-clinching point as she defeated Indiana's Laura McGaffigan, 3-6, 7-6, 6-2.
#41 Arizona 4, #21 Indiana 2
(1) #5 Hollands/Mlakar (Ariz) def. #25 Tran/Batty (IU) - 8-5
(2) Vastag/McGaffigan (IU) def. Larocque/Jakowlew (Ariz) - 8-4
(3) Schlukebir/Grimm (IU) def. Perry/Rochefort (Ariz) - 8-4
Indiana wins doubles point.
(1) #11 Dianne Hollands (Ariz) def. #52 Dora Vastag (IU) - 6-0, 6-1
(2) Maja Mlakar (Ariz) def. Linda Tran (IU) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) Sarah Batty (IU) vs. Kelly Perry (Ariz) - 6-7, 6-3, 6-5 suspended
(4) Debbie Larocque (Ariz) def. Laura McGaffigan (IU) - 3-6, 7-6, 6-2
(5) Jessie Rochefort (Ariz) def. Karie Schlukebir (IU) - 6-3, 6-3
(6) Cecile Perton (IU) def. Iza Ferreira (Ariz) - 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: D3, D1, D2*, S1, S2, S6, S5, S4*
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -