Men's Tennis NCAA First Round Results
May 15, 2004
LOS ANGELES - In a match that went down to the wire, Jake Leivant lifted 32nd-ranked California over No. 39 San Diego, 4-3, in the first round of the 2004 NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament at USC's Marks Tennis Stadium on Saturday morning. With the win, the Bears improve to 8-16 overall and will face the winner of the USC-Montana State match in the second round on Sunday. USD completes its season at 13-8.
The match-up was close from the start. Cal's sixth-ranked doubles team of Patrick Briaud and Balazs Veress first defeated USD's Jason Pongsrikul and Nic Beuque, 8-2, at No. 1. The Toreros then evened doubles play by winning at court three. Court two was left as the deciding match as USD's Robbie Blair and Mirza Koristovic defeated Tyler Brown and Daniel Sebescan, 9-7.
Down 1-0, the Bears also entered singles play down a player. Cal's Sebescen pulled out of the lineup at No. 3 due to injury and was replaced by Kuni Minato at No. 6.
San Diego took a 2-0 lead when Beuque defeated Briaud, 7-6, 6-3, at court four, but allowed Cal to earn its first point as Tyler Browne got past Pongsrikul, 7-6, 6-3, at the No. 3 position. The following three matches finished nearly simultaneously as the Toreros won at No. 6 and the Bears took matches at courts one and two.
At 3-3, the match was left to be decided at the No. 5 spot. Leivant took the first set 6-4 and USD's Koristovic responded with a 6-3 win in the second set. Nearly four hours after the match had begun, Leivant eventually proved too tough as he won the final set 6-2 to give Cal the victory.
NCAA First Round - Los Angeles, Calif.
#32 California 4, #39 San Diego 3
(1) #6 Briaud/Veress (Cal) def. Pongsrikul/Beuque (USD) - 8-2
(2) Blair/Koristovic (USD) def. Browne/Sebescen (Cal) - 9-7
(3) Ysern/Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Minato/John Pettit (Cal) - 8-4
San Diego wins doubles point.
(1) #56 Wayne Wong (Cal) def. #74 Pierrick Ysern (USD) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) #71 Balazs Veress (Cal) def. Robbie Blair (USD) - 1.6, 6-2, 6-2
(3) Tyler Browne (Cal) def. Jason Pongsrikul (USD) - 7-6, 6-3
(4) Nic Beuque (USD) def. Patrick Briaud (Cal) - 7-6, 6-3
(5) Jake Leivant (Cal) def. Mirza Koristovic (USD) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
(6) Jeff Das (USD) def. Kuni Minato (Cal) - 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: D1, D3, D2, S4, S3, S6, S1, S2, S5
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -