Men's Tennis Tops New Mexico in NCAA First Round
May 15, 2004
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Washington's 23rd-ranked men's tennis team opened up its 10th-straight NCAA Tournament appearance with a solid 4-0 win over New Mexico in the first round at the Taube Tennis Center on the Stanford University campus. With the win, the Huskies (15-8) move into the Regional final where they will face the ninth-ranked host, Stanford Cardinal (17-7) on Sunday, May 16 at noon with the winner advancing to the 16-team NCAA Finals in Tulsa, Okla., May 22-25.
The Huskies got off to a quick start, winning the first two doubles matches en route to taking the doubles point. The 19th-ranked duo of junior Alex Vlaski and freshman Daniel Chu defeated Ryan Stotland and David Kowalski, 8-6 in the No. 1 spot. At No. 2, freshman Alex Slovic and senior Nick Weiss took care of the Lobo tandem of Divan Coetzee and Hiroud Akhavan, 8-2.
In singles, junior Christoph Palmanshofer had the clinching match for the Huskies in the No. 4position, defeating Henry Gers in straight-sets, 7-6(1), 6-4. Slovic, ranked 25th, also earned a straight-set win at No. 2, defeating Kowalski 6-3, 7-6(4). Junior Peter Scharler defeated Akhavan easily at No. 5, 6-1, 6-1. The other three singles matches were suspended once Washington clinched the fourth point.
In its quest to make it to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the fourth-straight year, Washington will have to get by ninth-ranked Stanford who defeated Pacific, 4-0, in its first-round match. The last time the Huskies played a second round match versus the Cardinal at Stanford (2002), UW pulled a 4-3 upset to advance to the Sweet 16.
NCAA Championships - First Round
Washington Men's Tennis vs. New Mexico
May 15, 2004 - Taube Tennis Center - Palo Alto, Calif.
No. 23 Washington 4, No. 64 New Mexico 0
Doubles (Washington wins point)
1. (19) Vlaski/Chu (UW) def. Stotland/Kowalski (UNM) - 8-6
2. Slovic/Weiss (UW) def. Coetzee/Akhavan (UNM) - 8-2
3. Palmanshofer/Scharler (UW) def. Hodzic/Gers (UNM) - 4-5 (DNF)
1. (10) Alex Vlaski (UW) vs. Divan Coetzee (UNM) - 6-2, 2-6, 3-3 (DNF)
2. (25) Alex Slovic (UW) def. David Kowalski (UNM) - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
3. Daniel Chu (UW) vs. Ryan Stotland (UNM) - 6-7 (5), 6-4, 1-1 (DNF)
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Henry Gers (UNM) - 7-6 (1), 6-4*
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Hiroud Akhavan (UNM) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Chris Floyd (UW) vs. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) - 6-1, 4-6, 3-5 (DNF)
Order of finish for singles: 5, 2, 4